Paying the Price

Everything has a cost. If you're not ready to make payment for it, don't expect to get it. When you're taking on a goal, consider its nature: what challenges does it pose? What habits will you have to give up? How much time will it take? Do you have what it takes to achieve it? Pursuing your goal will require you to give up other opportunities, let go of some knowledge you've acquired, and focus your mind. You'll need to keep pushing forward even when you hit obstacles, while others may give up, saying the reward isn't worth it. You may have to do things others take for below their dignity or go unnoticed and have less time for other things. Despite all that, you may still fail, while others who take a different path may succeed. "Well, then I won't choose at all," you might say. But what have you gained? Don't be surprised by the outcome of not trying it. When others receive rewards you skipped on pursuing, feel happy for them. If you end up with something you'd rather avoid, don't be sad or angry. That said, do you still believe you can live by your philosophy and live as you did before as others do? It's up to you to decide how much you're willing to sacrifice, but don't sell yourself short.

Reflect: Is what you're doing today worth the effort, or should you be doing something else instead?