XXI. A Statement of Freaking Apology

Yo, yo, yo! And a bottle of... WAZZUP?

Not my best greeting ever, but, hey, it counts. Don't answer the Wazzup, though. The answer is the sky. Defy not the answer.

I like how this chapter title expresses how I feel. Gomen'nasai, minna-sama!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR 7K! Hope by the end of the story, we can get 8K! Or more? We shall see.

So, how y'all doin'? (Don't answer that either.) I've been doing well, only to discover that MY LIFE IS A WELL OF DRIED UP TEARS. I'll be in 8-Understanding TOMORROW, and that means less updates on my other stories. I'll be ending this story very soon with twenty-five chapters, so that explains the updates.

Oh, well. I had a lot of fun writing this. Plus, I've been writing the special Freed chapter. I'm not planning to do a Bickslow chapter, but we'll see what I can do in my free time. By the way, you know what to do when you read meh stories: CVSF. I should stop writing this author's note and get on with the chapter.

Byeonara anesthesia.

-/-/-

"Mister, want some free ice cream?"

I don't know where the hell I'm going. I'm just walking around Magnolia like some freak, you know. Taking this time to cool off, to storm off to a place that I can be alone. I don't look back, but I know that someone will be following me, or is already doing that.

I didn't know what I was thinking when I decided to use violence instead of talking it through with Bickslow. He called me a monster, unlike the last time we fought. He easily forgave me back then, and we watched Spider-Man movies afterwards. This time, I don't know how Bickslow would forgive me. I don't know how to make a statement of fucking apology, when I don't know how to apologize to myself.

What am I doing with my life anyway?

I reach this nice spot at a cliff. I'm not planning to die, I just want to stare at the ocean. I sit down and exhale all the anger. I feel stupid, having to turn my back on my only comrades.

This is so weird. Contemplating about my actions is not my life's work. Usually, I'd be slaying monsters and creatures and stuff like those with my friends. But, I don't think I have friends anymore. I've lost them to one monster that I call myself.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my life.

I almost fall asleep on that cliff, really. An hour later, when I was on the verge of sleeping, I hear footsteps. They're not ordinary footsteps. They're of someone with a limp, but they're heavy anyway. That's when I see Freed, slowly making his way towards me. His injuries from my punch earlier have been bandaged, and he doesn't seem angry at me. In fact, he's smiling at me as if nothing had gone wrong with his injuries, his limp, the guild, the dare, and everything else.

"Kon'nichiwa, Laxus," he greets me before sitting beside me. "Are you feeling relaxed and better now?"

"I should be the one asking you that," I reply, watching him sit with such a limp. "I'm sorry for earlier. I didn't mean it."

"People do things that they don't mean to and regret it afterwards. It's the course of human nature, isn't it?"

"Your words are deep and cryptic, but I guess it is the course of human nature."

"You acted on reflex," he explains. "There's nothing to be sorry about. I should be the one apologizing, because I had interfered between you and Bickslow. I just didn't want to see the two of you fight like that. However, I had added more fuel to the fire, and that's my regret."