Chapter 19: S.P.Q.R. (Part 2)

A/N: Before starting the chapter, since there will be two Mordreds from now on, I will refer to them as follows:

Saber Mordred: the version of Grand Order;

Mordred: The version from DxD.

---------------------

[So it's not a matter of Yuto, but Mordred as well.]

Crazy as it was, this Mordred was the same as Saber Mordred. They had the same perfume, which is impossible unless they were the same person.

"You know, all you had to do was introduce yourself as members of Chaldea so that the guards would let you go inside," Mordred said, throwing a sarcastic smile at Rider Yuto and the Dragon Slayers. "The Emperor had already warned everyone of your arrival."

"So we got arrested for nothing?" Yuto grunted.

However, it was a good idea. If they could not enter through the front door as free men, they would enter as prisoners. Then they had already planned to escape from prison to reach the Domus Aurea.

"But how do you know we were coming?" Saber Mordred asked.

"Because we're the ones secretly helping Chaldea," Mordred replied as they reached a room where there was also the blue-haired girl from before, Alter and a man who made Arthur wince. "Now, before we meet Empress Nero, we will give you a brief introduction to the situation."

The era had been distorted by the summon of Roman Heroic Spirits and others who had joined their forces and formed the United Roman Empire and at the head of it was the founding father of Rome, Romulus.

"So far we have repelled them, but this war will not end until the Holy Grail is recovered or destroyed," Alter intervened, staring at the vastness of Rome from the window. "Neither Rome nor the United Roman Empire wants to destroy Rome and this has led to a stalemate."

"Couldn't you recover the Holy Grail and end this singularity?" Saber Mordred asked.

"It would have been possible if we knew where the Holy Grail is," the blue-haired girl replied. "We've searched everywhere in the Empire but we couldn't find it."

Yuto touched his chin. "It's likely that Lev became more cautious after the French Singularity. Instead of entrusting it to a servant as he did with Gilles, he must have kept it to himself."

Alter nodded. It was the same reasoning that everyone had come to after analysing the situation.

[So, if I understand correctly, the reason you stalled the war is to understand the exact location of the Holy Grail, isn't it?]

Alter nodded in response.

"Until it is found, this situation is the best. Mankind will not be saved and it will not be destroyed," Alter said.

Indeed, if both sides were unwilling to destroy Rome, Roman civilization would continue for a while and they hoped that Lev would grow weary and act personally.

"I see," Yuto nodded. "This is already a starting point."

It was always more than they had when they were in France where Jeanne Alter was the Holy Grail. At least this time they knew they shouldn't have focused all their efforts on the United Roman Empire. Also, it seemed that Lev could summon the Heroic Spirits without possessing the Command Spells.

"Would it be possible to meet the Emperor?" Arthur asked.

"You have it before you, King of Knights." The red-haired man grinned as he detached himself from the marble wall. "Have you forgotten my face?"