Chapter 9: The Fourth Age

"I think I'm quite ready for another adventure," Bilbo said, while he walked onwards to the ship.

I was invited to the Grey Havens, as the last ship to sail left Middle-Earth. I stood, with tears in my eyes, next to Elladan, who was also permitted to come along. And his brother too.
He had said goodbye to his father and grandmother, and unlike the movies, his grandfather stayed for a while. Gandalf was there too, like the four Hobbits. I had made friends, and now I had to say goodbye to them again. To never see them again. That was such a sad thought.

Bilbo walked along with Elrond to the ship. It was beautiful. The sun was going down, and the ship was incredible built. Galadriel walked after them on the boat.

Gandalf stood in front of us. I could never watch this part in the movie without tearing up, and knowing that these were all my friends, I could not watch it actually happen without tearing up. Elladan had put his arm around my shoulder, but I saw he had tears in his eyes too.

"Farewell, my brave friends," Gandalf said. All Hobbits had started tearing up, except for Frodo. "My work is now finished. Here at last, at the shores of the sea, comes an end to our Fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

He walked a bit forth, but them stopped and turned.
"It is time, Frodo."
Merry, Pippin and Sam looked confused at Frodo.
"What does he mean?" Sam asked.
"We set out to save the Shire, Sam, and it has been saved," Frodo answered. "But not for me."
"You don't mean that," Sam said. "You can't leave."

Frodo gave Sam the Red Book of Westmarch, which is basically the diary of Bilbo and Frodo of their journeys.
"The last pages are for you, Sam."

Frodo turned and gave Merry and Pippin a farewell hug, and then Sam. Then he turned to me. Elladan let go of me and I sank through my knees to be about his height.
He gave me a hug without words and I felt a tear rolling down my cheek.
"Thank you," he whispered. "For everything."
"Thank you," I whispered back.

Sketch of Frodo

Sketch of Frodo

Then he walked to Gandalf, who had his hand stretched out to Frodo. I bowed my head to Gandalf, and he gave a smile back.
They walked to the ship, and Frodo looked at us one more time, with probably his most honest smile ever. He was finally free. Just like I was. The wind blew softly through my hair, and I sniffed. More tears had taken a place on my face. The ship sailed away, and we stood watching a bit longer.

The Hobbits, the Twins and I walked back. The three remaining Hobbits went back to the Shire, after saying goodbye to us. The Twins and I went back to Rivendell. Of the Fellowship wasn't all that much left. Boromir had died, Frodo and Gandalf sailed away. The Three Hunters and the three Hobbits were left. And me, if that counts.

I thought about it, and I think now that not a specific person was a hero, but everyone. In their own way. Even Boromir was a hero. He was part of the Fellowship, so that already makes him a special person. Even Gollum was a hero in a way, because without him, the destruction of the Ring probably would have been different.

~

I went to my room, and suddenly it felt a bit empty in Rivendell. There was no Lord Elrond here anymore. I edited my diary and went to the balcony attached to my room. I needed a moment alone. I thought of my world, and of everything I had left behind. Was that all enough?

What you leave should be bigger than you

Was that true for me? It was the quote of Cameron Boyce, my idol. I left a lot. Flash-backs of my family appeared in my head, and tears made their way down my cheeks. I took a deep breath.

I thought about time. If six months here was five minutes there, and seventy seven years here was twelve hours there, it must have meant that now that I was several years here, not so much time would have passed there. When it would there be day after I left, it would mean that I wasn't probably anymore. Geez. Would they get information of what happend to me here after the Lord of the Rings? I was now about twenty years old. And I didn't even celebrate my birthday, because I didn't know when. It was all so confusing.

I imagined their reactions to the things that happend. Me, getting stabbed. Me, throwing my necklace off a cliff. Me, falling in love with Elladan. Me, constantly having to say goodbye to everyone. I didn't have an easy life, I never had. But it sure was so much better here. Of course I cried something. That is normal. Not only for humans. But I was so much happier. And though I still don't know why it all happened and how it was possible, I was glad it did.

~

The next day I was ill. Really ill, which was the first time in quite a long time. I didn't get ill fast. Even when a deadly virus was spreading in my world, I got ill of it one time, but I didn't feel anything.
But now I felt awful. My head felt like it was on fire. And not only my head, but every part of my body was burning. I was told I had a fever. Yes, there was a doctor. And yes, there were still Elves living in Rivendell and Lórien. Not all went to the Undying Lands.

I laid in my bed and Elladan sat next to me. The doctor had told him to keep an eye on me and to keep the wet piece of cloth on my forehead. I was given a painkiller, of a sort. It was disgusting. 
"It will be okay," Elladan said when we were alone. "I'd give you a kiss, but I don't want to get sick too."
"Yeah," I whispered. "Wait. Elves can't get sick."
Elladan giggled.
"I was joking," he said, and pressed a kiss on my lips.

Suddenly, Elrohir came in. Elladan turned his head towards the door.
"Brother, there are Orcs wandering found not far from the borders of Rivendell. We need you. Now."
Elladan nodded and his brother left to get ready.

"I got to go," he whispered to me.
"I want to come," I said.
"No, you can't, stay here." I slowly let go of his hand.
I opened my mouth to say something, but Elladan said: "You are sick. Join me when you're healed."
With that he left. I tried to sat up, but my fire head held me back.

Join me when you're healed
Where had I heard that before?
Thorin. Thorin had said that to Kíli, when he was injured.

I had not forgotten about them. Would they all still be alive? Would Thorin Oakenshield still be King of Erebor? Would Kíli still be with Tauriel?

I was nervous for Elladan and Elrohir. I stumbled to the window with the wet cloth on my forehead. My head was still burning, but I didn't care.
Armed, the Twins rode out of Imladris, with a small group of other Elves. Elladan looked back, and I smiled softly. He gave a nod as a temporary goodbye, and rode after the Elves.

I went back to my bed, before I would fall out of the window. The doctor came by to check on me, and told me it was getting better, but I really had to rest, or else it would get worse.

After a time the Elves came back, and Elrohir knocked on my door.
"Vicky?"
"Yes?"
"Elladan is hurt, but don't worry, it isn't very bad. He needs to heal, so if you need anything, you can ask me."
My heart skipped a few beats, but I stayed calm.

"What happened?"
"His left leg was hit by an Orc, but it will heal. In time."
"Okay," I whispered, still shivering from the fever. "Thank you."
He nodded and left.

Great. Elladan hurt, I was sick. What else could go wrong? I demanded that question out of my head, because maybe something worse could happen.

After a few days I felt better, and went to Elladan's room. I knocked.
"Come in," I heard the Elf's voice say.
I walked in, still not very stable.
"Mírë, you are healed."
"Yeah, my head is not burning anymore, at least. How is your leg?"

He stepped out of his bed, leaning on a crutch.
"It is well, but I am not able to walk normal yet."
Elladan walked to me, and I hugged him.
"I was worried," I whispered.
"I was too," he answered and kissed me on my forehead.
Then he looked at me.

"But I am starving. Let's get something to eat."
I smiled, and assisting him with walking, we went to find food.

Welp, a bit sad yeah, but I hope you enjoyed it! I already have ideas for the next chapter 😉