Chapter 3: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

The next day I noticed I had slept pretty good. So I would have enough energy for battle. We packed our stuff, the tents, we ate and drank, and then put out the fires.
I made myself ready for the three day road to Minas Tirith. I couldn't find Éowyn anywhere, but when I noticed her she was already in fighting gear, so no one could recognize her. I smiled and let it be.

When we rode, I tried to get next to her. When that finally worked, I asked her who she was.
"I am Dernhelm," she answered with a soft voice.
"I know," I said.
She looked up and saw me, and looked relieved. That was probably because I was the only one without a helm and little armor. And my hair wasn't tied up, so it floated in the wind.
Merry was sitting on her horse in front of her, and had already noticed who she actually was.
I smiled.

I talked little on the road, I needed to mentally prepare and go through my plan again. We had few stops, and they were not long. But enough time to eat, and rest from horse-riding all day.

~

Éomer came with the news that enemies were now everywhere. I sat with Éowyn and Merry, while we had a rest.
"Take heart, my friends," Éowyn said. "It will soon be over."
"My lady," Merry said. "You are fair and brave, and have much to live for. And many who love you. I know it is to late to turn aside. I know there is not much point now in hoping. If I were a knight of Rohan, capable of great deeds...but I'm not. I'm a Hobbit. And I know I can't save Middle-earth. I just want to help my friends. Frodo, Sam...Pippin. More than anything I wish I could see them again."

Wow, why did no one ever mention Merry's great speech?

"I know a few songs of battle and war," I said.
"Could you sing one?" Éowyn asked.
So I sang a part of 'We are Warriors' by Avril Lavigne.

We are warriors
We fight for our lives
Like soldiers
All through the night
And we won't give up
We will survive
We are warriors

And we're stronger
That's why we're alive
We will conquer
Time after time
We'll never falter
We will survive
We are warriors

They smiled. Then we heard a horn blow, and Théoden calling that we had to go. Merry and Éowyn put on their helmets and I tied my hair.
"To battle," Éowyn said.
"To battle," Merry and I repeated.

We mounted and rode all the way through the night. At sunrise we were there. Before Gondor. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields was upon us. I felt so nervous. And maybe a bit scared. But I wasn't ashamed to admit I was scared. That was normal.

I looked behind me and saw that we were with quite a big army. But in front of us was also a giant army of Orcs and Uruk-Hai.
Kimg Théoden started to give orders and then held his amazing speech, which was also in the books.
"Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken. Shields shall be splintered. A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!"

I was next to Éowyn and Merry, I had to stay close to them. Éowyn and I gave each other a look. I smiled.

Then the king rode along the first row and went with his sword against the spears. I was so honored I was in the first row, and even I was given a spear, although I didn't think I was going to use it. I never had.

"Ride now! Ride now! Théoden King called. "Ride! Ride for ruin, and the world's ending! Death!"
Everyone repeated after him 'death' and then Éowyn, Merry and I did the same.
"Forth Èorlingas!"
The horn of Rohan sounded.
Then we rode forth after Théoden, and so did the Orcs.

We were coming closer, and I saw the amazing building of Minas Tirith in the distance, but it was already attacked. The Orcs released their arrows, and several flew past my face.
We rode faster, and the Orcs with spears in front seemed to hesitate to do anything. We rode on, and we ran them over with our horses and spears stabbing through them. I thought that would be the only time I'd use a spear, but that wasn't true.