Chapter 5: The Final Battle of the Third Age

On March 25, we rode to Morannon, or the Black Gate. It was a huge gate, of two parts, and it was black, obviously. It had spikes on top, and watchtowers. But they were empty. We stopped before it. The king and his son were there with us, so were Gandalf, the Three Hunters and the Hobbits.

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth!" Aragorn called. "Let justice be done upon him."
For a second, nothing happend, but then, the Gate opened with a loud noise. Through the opening we saw someone riding towards us. His horse was black, just like his armor and gigant helm that covered his eyes. His mouth though, was very visible. He wasn't called the Mouth of Sauron for nothing. His lips were cracked, and his teeth were covered in blood.

"My master, Sauron the Great, bids thee welcome," he said, with a creepy, low voice, and smiled real big, so his teeth were even more visible. Aragorn gave a disapproving look.
"Is there any in this rout with autority to treat with me?" he asked.

"We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed," Gandalf said, and he looked not scared at all.
"Tell your master this: the armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return."
The Mouth chuckled.
"Old Greybeard," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I have a token I was bidden to show thee."
He held up the Mithril shirt of Frodo. The company gasped, but I didn't fall for it. Frodo and Sam were alive.
He threw the short at Gandalf, and Pippin said 'Frodo' to which the Mouth of Sauron reacted with a growl.
"Silence," Gandalf said.
"No!" Merry yelled.
"Silence," Gandalf repeated.

"The Halfling was dear to thee I see," the Mouth said.
"Still is," I said.
"Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host." He must have meant Sauron with 'host'.
"Who would've thought one so small could endure so much pain? And he did, Gandalf. He did."

"He is alive," I whispered.
He turned his head to me.
"A girl? In a war?" he laughed. I stared at him with anger, at least, to where I thought his eyes must have been. I never figured out how he was able to see.

Then Aragorn rode forth.
"And who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a king than a broken Elvish blade."
That was the last thing he said, because Aragorn drew his sword and with a yell cut his head off in one swift move.

"Guess that concludes negotiations," Gimli said grim.
"I do not believe it," Aragorn said. "I will not."
"He is alive," I said. "If they had the Ring we would have noticed it. They don't. Frodo and Sam are alive and very close to destroying the Ring."

The Gate opened further, and Orcs came marching through it.
"Pull back," Aragorn commanded.
We rode back to our armies, and Aragorn began his epic speech.

"Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come, when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But is it not this day. An hour of wolves, and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down. But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

The men drew their swords, and I did the same.
I smiled, I was also from the race of Men, and this was true for me.
We stood at the ready, and were surrounded by ten times a larger army than ours. It looked like we were outnumbered. But Frodo and Sam would be in time to destroy the Ring.

I stood in the front row, next to my friends.
"Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an Elf," I heard Gimli murmer.
"What about side by side with a friend?" Legolas said.
"Aye, I could do that."
I smiled. That was so sweet.

Right about now the 'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you' scene would happen. I have no idea how I knew that was that moment. I gues I had seen the movies a bit too much. (A bit?)
In the distance, I saw the Eye of Sauron on the tower of Barad-Dûr. He had turned towards us, which was our plan. Even now I didn't feel any sort of attraction towards the evil. But Aragorn looked at the Eye and walked a few steps. Sauron was probably calling his name.
But Aragorn resisted. He turned to us, and whispered: "For Frodo."
And for Sam, I thought.

Then he ran, Andúril in his hand, and Merry and Pippin ran after him. Merry's arm had healed in time to be with us here, unlike Faramir and Éowyn. We charged after him, and the battle had began. We killed many Orcs, although we were with less.

Not long after, we heard the familiar screeching sounds. The Nazgûl had come. But it were only eight, because their leader was defeated. I looked up. Then I looked at Gandalf. There was a moth messenger. A few seconds later, when the Nazgûl wanted to attack us, they were held back by the Eagles. I just loved the Eagles. They fought in the air, while I focused on fighting on the ground. We were now so close to victory, I couldn't die now. I had to fight. It was exhausting, because I had to fight multiple Orcs at the same time. There were not enough men, and they wouldn't all survive.

Come on, Frodo and Sam. And Sméagol. You can do it. Suddenly the Ringwraiths screeched and turned. To Mount Doom. Frodo had put on the Ring.

I was using all my strength and energy to kill the Orcs.
At one point, there was a screech. But it didn't come from the Nazgûl. It was Sauron. The Eye of Sauron. The tower of Barad-Dûr was falling. I saw it in the distance.
The Hobbits started cheering, and I too yelled 'Frodo' and 'Sam'. The Orcs started fleeing, and the Black Gate sunk in the ground. Then Mount Doom collapsed too. I knew the two would survive anyway, so I kept cheering.

But one of the fleeing Orcs wiped me off my feet, accidentally or not, and I hit my head. Hard. I tried standing up, but my vision was fading. I saw Aragorn, but that was it. It went black.

Aragorn's POV:

Mount Doom fell. Frodo and Sam were still there. There was no way they survived that. Tears started welling up in my eyes. They had destroyed the One Ring, but they fell. I turned to my friends, when I saw Vicky laying on the ground. My eyes widened. No, we could not afford to lose her as well. She had given up her immortality, to stay in Middle-earth forever. But she could not die. Not now. I kneeled by her side and turned her. There was blood on her head, but she was still breathing.

I looked up at Gandalf. What were we to do?
"Take her back to the city," Gandalf said. "You must all go back. I will see if the Hobbits are still alive." I nodded, and Gandalf mounted Gwahir, the Lord of Eagles, and flew away with two other Eagles. Oh, how I hoped they were still there.

We went back, and no one talked. We had victory, but to lose those who are dearest to you, was not easy. I carried Vicky on my horse, and when we were at the city, I immediately brought her to the Houses of Healing. Then we went to clean up ourselves.

Vicky's POV:

My head hurt. I opened my eyes. I was laying in a bed. How long had I been laying here? I was alive. Of course I was alive, nobody dies from just falling on their head. Then everything came back again.
Frodo. Sam. I sat up and groaned.
"Easy," a woman said. "You are hurt. You must rest."
Ah, I was in the Houses of Healing.
"My friends," I whispered. "Frodo, Sam. Where are they? I need to see them."
"They have just arrived in the other room. You may go to see them if you like."
I nodded, and stepped out of the bed.

She led the way, and I saw the whole Fellowship was already there. Had I been sleeping for so long? I peeked around the corner, and all eyes turned to me. I smiled. I noticed I had different, clean clothes on, like the others.

I walked in.
"I'm alive," I said. "You won't get rid of me that easily."
They all laughed. I walked to Frodo.
"I always knew you could do it," I said with a wink. "And you too," to Sam.
And so the whole Fellowship (exept for Boromir) was together once again. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

~

I was clean, but not that properly washed, so I decided to take a bath. The water was warm, and although the water touching my bruises and scars was painful, I knew it could be worse. The old scars were almost completely gone, except the big one on my face, you could still see the scar. And the new ones were not so bloody anymore. My head still felt like it was one fire, but I relaxed and tried not to think about it. I thought of more happy things, like the fact we had peace now. Sauron was defeated! Once and for all!

Yeahh, Sauron is defeated and everybody lives! Okay, almost everybody but still. You didn't think this was the end of the story, did you?
Because there is more to come! We now go into the Fourth Age, after Aragorn's coronation. Enjoy!