Chapter 6

The next morning as Louis goes down to Jay in the kitchen, he has slight concerns that his relationship with her might feel different now than it did last night. Ever since he woke up he's been thinking about whether he was too emotionally overwhelmed yesterday and that he told his mother too soon, maybe even overshared. And then again, he knows it's nonsense, his mother didn't even let him feel once that Louis is a failure in any way.

When he enters the kitchen and sees Jay sitting at the table with a cup of coffee and the newspaper, he takes a short breath in and out. Just because he feels different about his revelation doesn't mean others feel the same way. But Jay acts like always, looks up briefly and smiles, nods to the pot of fresh coffee and reads on. Nothing has changed. Both are not morning people and need a certain amount of time and at least one cup of coffee before they are able to have a conversation. A look at the clock on the wall tells him that Ernest and Doris must already be at school.

When he has also poured himself a coffee, he sits down at his mother's table, takes out his phone and answers the messages from Niall, who has been bombarding him since yesterday - whether Louis is okay, why he needs a break and that he is always there for him. Touched and smiling, he texts him back that they will talk when he gets back to LA. Just as he puts his phone aside, Jay closes her newspaper and catches his eye.

"Louis, I didn't get any rest tonight. What Andrew said to you back then was absolutely wrong and I want to make it clear again that it is in no way true," she says and rubs her face tiredly, only now does Louis notice the dark circles under her eyes.

"I just can't understand why I believed him and didn't confide in you. Or that I never spoke to Brandon about it again. I just can't get my head around the fact that I just pushed that kiss away from me."

Jay reaches across the table for his hand and squeezes it encouragingly.

"Maybe it was some kind of protective mechanism of your body or mind. You must have been so scared. I know how Andrew could be. He was always so aggressive," she murmurs, grimacing.

"It's not your fault that you have such bad taste in men, Mum." Louis tries to lighten the mood that is suddenly depressed and manages it, because Jay laughs.

"Hopefully yours is better," she winks at him and Louis blushes slightly. "Too early for these jokes?" Jay asks immediately, worried when she sees her son's cheeks glow.

"No, it's okay. I mean, um, I like men. Men are great. But...thinking about how rude Harry is, I guess I have to say I'm pretty much yours when it comes to my taste in men," he chuckles desperately, shaking his head and looking down.

"I don't want to defend him bub, but there are always two sides of the coin. Who knows why he reacts like that when he sees you? Maybe you can put down your argument and get to know each other better. I can see how you look just by mentioning his name."

"How's my look mom? Enlighten me," Louis says, a bit bitchy and slightly shocked, because he doesn't know if his mother is just teasing him.

"I don't know how to describe it but this man seems to do something with you," she replies in a calm tone and grins mischievously.

"Yeah, he drives me crazy. Definitive. What if things continue like this between us for the next few weeks?" Louis asks desperately and he really isn't given a day's rest from Harry. If only he could be nicer, Louis would try anything to get closer to him. But the physical attraction and the rude character are constantly at odds, leaving Louis helpless.

"Then I'll come down to LA personally and tweak his ears. Oh don't look at me like that Louis, I'm serious. I don't care if he's a pop star, but nobody treats my baby like that," she says with a serious look, but Louis can clearly see the cheeky twinkle in his mother's eyes.