Chapter 1

⊷ PAPARAZZI ⊶

PAPARAZZI

The typing of the other colleagues' keys can be heard around him, his boss's phone at the end of the room doesn't stop ringing and Louis is annoyed. So damn annoyed. For days he just sat in the office instead of being out in the streets of LA. Because if there's one thing he's really bad at, it's sitting still in an office, he's never been the type to sit still - be it as a kid, at school or in his free time. Louis always has something to do, loves socializing and the wild hustle and bustle of life. So also in his job. Louis is a paparazzi, now even known to many stars who like his nice and cheerful nature, because he is never pushy and always has a nice word or compliment on his lips. Louis loves his job, he travels to all kinds of places and none of the shoots are the same. And even if paparazzis have a bad reputation, he enjoys letting the stars and starlets shine in his pictures, bringing out the beauty of the people -  instead of directing the viewer's gaze to the imperfect like many of his colleagues hope to do with a photograph. He knows they're still real people, with real feelings and they'll probably thrive when they're picked apart in the tabloids with no makeup and pimples or weight gain. That's also why Louis is willingly tolerated, once he even got an email from a singer who thanked him for not photographing her with red, swollen eyes from crying after her ex broke up with her, but instead gave her a hint with a tap on next to his own eyes indicated she should put on sunglasses. It's Louis job and when his boss wants him to take that person's picture, he has to deliver results - but he treats people with respect and his photos are the most requested.

Unfortunately, the success he does have in his job, he doesn't have in all of the other areas in his life. His love life has been virtually no-existent for years. Louis is not a child of sadness and has enough dates or a one-night stand here and there, but no woman has managed to win his heart so far. He had a three year relationship with Amelia, a nice girl, until a year ago, but when she started talking about marriage more and more, he panicked because secretly it never felt right and so he ended the relationship. But he has good friends and he absolutely loves his family. It's okay. At least that's what he tells himself on lonely nights when he's thinking about when his heart will finally beat faster for someone and he can fall asleep with her in his arms instead of lying in bed alone brooding and wondering what the hell is wrong with him. It's actually pathetic that he's still alone at the age of 30, others are already starting families and are married, even his mother regularly asks carefully if there's anything new in terms of love.

But he doesn't want to think about it again, instead he listlessly concentrates on sorting his pictures from the last few months into folders on the computer and lets out a sigh again and again. Just as he's about to put his head down on the table because of boredom, his boss Luke approaches his table and Louis starts up in shock. He flashes an apologetic smile to his boss, who shakes his head in amusement and raises an eyebrow.

"I can finally put you out of your misery," Luke grins, who is only a few years older than him and knows exactly how restless Louis gets when he has to sit at a desk for too long.