Chapter one

I sunk into the chair as the woman in front of me kept speaking about a blonde haired woman she hated. I didn't care honestly, I didn't like Regina and this woman she despised didn't seem all that bad to me. As Regina kept talking a sigh escaped my lips and she stopped and glared at me.

"Are my problems boring you Ms. (Y/N)?" She asked as she clenched her jaw together in annoyance.

I rolled my eyes, "you've been talking about her all week so yes your problems are boring. If you have any actual complaints the jail doors are always open, but if you are here just to vent about a woman you don't like then please leave Ms. Mills." I said as I plopped a stack of papers I needed to file onto my desk.

Regina stared me up and down before walking out and slamming the door. I rolled my eyes, she was always this way especially if she didn't get what she wanted. I have seen the way she pushes people around and flaunts her superiority around so she can get her way with everything. That's why she's always been mayor, nobody has ever ran against her and I highly doubt they ever will, she'd probably find a way to murder the person. When she comes into my office it's usually because she needs surveillance footage on Henry, her son, or kids who enjoy breaking into the library.

I know you are probably thinking that she actually comes to my office because she likes me but you'd be wrong about that. My friend Ruby caught her on a date with my co-worker Graham and before you get any ideas I will tell you that I am not jealous of him nor do I find her attractive myself.

Let's get back to the story.

As the end of my shift finally rolled around I grabbed my things and walked to my car. As I got in I saw an unfamiliar yellow car with a person who appeared to be sleeping in it. Me being the sheriff and knowing that Regina would have a cow if I didn't, I walked up to the car and knocked on the window. As I did, a woman who looked like she was in her late twenties shot up and rolled down the window.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

I looked at her in confusion, "what are you doing sleeping in your car, do you have a home or a place to stay?"

The woman looked at me and smirked, "if I had a place to stay would I be sleeping in my car?" She said jokingly.

I chuckled at her remark and an idea popped into my head, "I'm (Y/N) and I'm the sheriff, if you need a place to stay for a while I have a couple of spare rooms in my house, you can pick one if you'd like."

The woman smiled and agreed, as she stepped out of her car and shut the door, she held out her hand for me to shake, "I'm Emma, and thanks for letting me stay with you by the way." She added with a smile.

"Of course, c'mon it's late and I am too tired to deal with madam mayor." I said while walking back to my car.

Emma chuckled, "I see you've interacted with the lovely woman!" She said with a sarcastic tone.

I shook my head, "yep, she comes into my office at least twice a week. Usually to stalk her son, but lately she's been ranting on and on about some woman she hates, any idea who it is?" I asked while looking up at Emma.

The latter shook her head and placed her hands in her pockets, "yeah, me." She said.

I stopped walking and Emma looked at me. I was shocked that Regina would hate Emma, but they could've had a past. I looked at Emma in disbelief, "wait, you mean to tell me that Regina hates you?"

"Yep." Emma added.

I shrugged, "well she hates everyone so it doesn't surprise me."

"Yeah I noticed that, do you know why?" Emma asked as we both got into my car.

I started the engine and began to drive, "some say she had a rough past, and others say she's always been this way. I personally think she just has a lot of walls and layers nobody knows about but that's just my theory." I said with a shrug.

The rest of the ride was completely silent until we pulled into my driveway.

"You live here!?" Emma asked as she looked at my house.

I'll admit it is pretty big for just one person, but I enjoy the space.

"Yeah, I told you I have a bunch of spare rooms didn't I?" I grinned as Emma looked at me in disbelief.

She didn't say anything, instead she shook her head and grabbed her bags. We walked up the front stairs and I unlocked the door letting her inside first.

"Now I have two spare rooms downstairs and three spare rooms upstairs, you can take any you'd like but I will say the upstairs rooms have showers." I said as I closed and locked the doors.

Emma sighed, "Well this is a tough decision but I think I will have to go with a room upstairs." She said as she whispered so the house couldn't hear her.

I chuckled, "I don't think my house has ears or feelings, but thanks for being cautious." I added with a subtle wink and grin.

Emma felt her face heat up as you winked at her and quickly grabbed her bags and walked upstairs to avoid the embarrassment of you seeing her blush, but you had already caught the subtle color change in her cheeks. You let Emma direct herself to a room, and grabbed a glass of water from your kitchen before your phone rang.

"Hello?" You answered.

"Ms. (Y/N) this is Regina, I want to inform you that my little friend is not in her car and I want you to make sure she isn't destroying property values." She demanded through the phone.

You grinned, "you mean Emma? Yeah no she's okay, I found her asleep in her car and invited her over to stay with me until she finds a place." You said.

Regina scoffed, "she's bad news (Y/N) don't let your guard down around her." Regina added.

You tilted your head in amusement, "Are you scared she might hurt me? I didn't know you cared about me Ms. Mills, or am I allowed to call you Regina now?" You added with a smirk.

The brunette rolled her eyes and felt her cheeks grow warm, "No! You will address me as Ms. Mills!" She said.

You quickly caught the mistake she had just made but she hung up before you could taunt her about it. She had never denied the part about caring about you though you thought it was just because she was tired.

What you had failed to realize that night was that deep, deep, deep down there was a part of the mayor that cared for you, not because she liked you, obviously (wink, wink), but because she was the mayor of course, and the mayor is supposed to care for everyone.