Honesty.

My dad's voice echoes off the walls as he barks an order towards us as we escape the throne room. I'm tugging Odin along with me, and he's following along, but his footsteps stutter, like his mind is somewhere else. Which, given the circumstances, isn't surprising. I've been waiting for this day for what seems like forever. 

I lead him to his room, ignoring the servants littering the halls, bowing as I pass them, running quick as lightning. Once we reach Odin's room, I pull him inside, my eyes flickering to the wall and then away, turning so I'm in front of him. 

Out from under the scrutiny of my dad's gaze, my body relaxes a little bit. There is so much I want to say, but all of it wasn't suitable to say in front of my father. Odin is staring at me, expectantly, like he knows there's something I want to say. I reach forward, holding his face in my hands gently, only applying a small bit of pressure for emphasis. 

"What we did today, I know you don't know what it means, yet, but you will soon." I say to him, my voice low so it doesn't carry into the hallways. 

"Since I was old enough to comprehend it, I've always known my fate. I've always known I was meant to rule Aesir. As time went on, I never warmed to the idea. Watching my dad deal with all the things he's dealt with, alone, only made me resent my title more and more every day. Up until recently, I've dreaded the idea of my coronation, of my time." I tell him, searching his eyes. 

He still doesn't respond, so I continue. 

"Today I've never been more eager to rule, not because of what I did. But because of what we've done, what we're capable of. My dad is a great King, one of the best, but now, there's no doubt in my mind that we, together, will be the best. Some are meant to rule alone, without another power at their side, but you make me stronger, and I hope I do the same for you." I whisper. 

Without hesitation, I tug his face towards me. Surprise takes over his face, and it almost makes me laugh, almost. But I'm too busy pressing my lips to his, trying to hide the hunger I feel deep inside of me. It takes him a few seconds to respond, but finally, I feel his fingers tangle in my hair, pulling me closer to him. 

We get lost in each other for minutes, maybe even hours. When he's this close to me, it's impossible to keep track of time. To know anything besides him. Finally, I pull away, my breathing ragged. I drag my tongue over my lips, watching him carefully. 

"Now, let's figure out our plan when we reach Alfhiem tomorrow." I smile at him. 

His own smile tugs at his lips, and he nods. 

So, we strategize, we plan, for the remainder of the night. I have extensive training in diplomacy. He has extensive training in strategy, so we work together until the late hours of the night, or morning rather, until we both finally fall asleep at the table in his room. 

There is no longer worry, or trepidation coursing through my veins. Now that I know we will be together. The impending war doesn't have the effect it would normally have on me. I do not fear the future, I can only embrace it.