Sensible

Jess's POV.

I don't bother to hide the small smile playing at my lips. Instead of answering him right away, I settle onto the forrest floor. My eyes roam over the destruction in front of us, and instead of feeling uneasy, I feel content.

He's watching me carefully, probably waiting for my response, but I'm not ready to give it to him yet. I don't miss the irony in his question, the fact that it's me he's asking. I'm the heir to Aesir's throne. I will rule one day.

So what does it mean to rule?

I blow some air out of my mouth and look away from him.

"To rule is to feel." I answer, glancing at him, "To feel, to know, and to see."

His eyebrows furrow and he finally settles on the grass next to me, stretching his legs in front of him and resting back on his arms, tilting his head to the sky.

"To rule something is to hand over all your senses to your higher self and trust that it takes you where you need, and ultimately, whatever you're ruling, with it." I continue when he doesn't respond to my first statement.

"Whenever my dad gives me one of his, many, tests, I rarely ever make a decision that I think he'll approve of. Mainly because I don't care if he agrees. I let that part of me that knows, make my decision. It hasn't failed me yet. Today, I ignored the worry I felt, and trusted my instincts." I explain to him.

He's looking at me again, and hums at my response, "Is that what you really think? Or is that what you think I want to hear?"

I frown at his response. I tend to hold back a lot, although I'm not sure why I'm doing it with him. He's never made me feel like any answers to his philosophical questions are wrong. He actually tends to nudge me into answering the way I should, without hesitating, without second guessing myself.

I try again.

"What does it mean to rule?" I muse, glancing at him from the corner of my eye.

I look up to the sky, and close my eyes.

"Ruling is a balance, it's also power. A balance between merciful and merciless. If you shift it one way or the other, it's failure. Depending on what you're ruling as well. Show too much mercy, and they'll think you weak, they will never bend. Show no mercy, and what you're ruling will break. You need to exert power over what you're ruling, but if you become too powerful, whatever you rule over will crumble into a million pieces, and your power will go with it. How can you rule over something you've obliterated? You'll be standing among oblivion, with nothing in your hands but air." I finally say, glancing at him.

He's smiling at me now, and I avert my gaze, feeling the heat rush to my cheeks.

I tend to hold back when speaking, because I'm always afraid I'll sound like a lunatic if I say what I'm thinking. But he has a way of making me feel like I've spoken sacred text from my own mouth. I hope my answer makes sense to him, because it makes sense to me.

It brings my dad to the front of my mind, the way he's always looking at me like I'll make the wrong decision. I'm not worried, though.

All the decisions I make are my own, and no two rulers are the same. I'll ascend past his expectations, I have no doubt about that. I'll also have someone beside me who will always support me, and look at me like every decision I make is the best.

I glance at him, then, no longer fighting my smile.

"How are you going to rule?" I ask him.