Chapter 23 - Amaryllis

"We will see Lord Mark." She told the guard, who nodded and quickly opened the door to Mark's cell.

Mark, looking scared and confused, followed them obediently up the staircase.

A bit later, a guard came down to collect Lauren, then Evangeline, then Amaryllis.

Nervous, she let them lead him through what appeared to be a large mansion. Or a sort of castle. The spiral stairs seemed to drag in forever, even though there there were only about a hundred or so steps. She kept her head down.

Mark, Lauren and Evangeline hadn't returned yet, and that worried Amaryllis the most. What were they going to do to her? Hopefully nothing.

She got her answer as she was dragged into a room. It was covered from floor to ceiling with maps and globes. War plans and blueprints for ships, weapons and bases were stretched across the table.

The cloaked figure from earlier got up from her seat to greet her. "Lady Amaryllis, welcome."

Amaryllis curtsied. The guards left, leaving her and the woman together.

She removed her cloak to reveal warm brown eyes and soft features.

"I am Shannon of the Forgotten Army." She introduced.

She motioned for Amaryllis to take a seat while she paced the room.

"The Forgotten Army is a collection of the forgotten and unimportant members of society, who are working together to seize the throne and bring an end to Lord Cassius's rule." Shannon explained.

"We work in the shadows, with people in the shadows with a few exceptions for spies."

Shannon smiled. "But enough about us, what about you? Your greatest wish?"

Amaryllis opened her mouth to speak but Shannon shushed her, turning her back to her.

"I am one of the highest level members of the Forgotten Army, in charge of recruiting new members. I know what you want. You want your glory back. You want to be Sorceress Supreme. And I can give that to you. We can."

Shannon turned back to her. Amaryllis felt herself heat up, disliking that someone knew so much about her without her even knowing.

"We know that candidates, of a people, can feel the full grasp of the Lord's true power over the Empire and so, we invite you to join the Forgotten Army."

She extended her hand towards Amaryllis, inviting her.

"Can you really?" Amaryllis questioned quietly. Shannon nodded.

"I want something else. Something powerful."

Shannon smiled. "Ambitious. I love it. Here."

She handed Amaryllis a sheath. "Here is Antiqua, legendary ancient sword of Harna. Accept and you will receive it."

Amaryllis smiled coyly. Then, with a shaking hand, she extended it to Shannon who grasped it firmly and shook it. "Welcome."

***

Guards led Amaryllis towards a new room. A large banquet table was at up, food like the palace's laid out on it.

Mark, Lauren and Evangeline were already there, patiently sitting. Soon enough, Warden appeared.

Shannon entered, in a brand new turquoise dress that shimmered in the light. Grabbing a glass, she stood and made a toast.

"Thank Sir Lauren of the Centre, brave warrior of the Royal Guard." She said tipping her glass to Lauren.

"Bless Prince Adam of the East, lost heir to the throne." She tipped her glass towards Mark, whose head was down. Gasps went off. Amaryllis tried not to act surprised and neutral.

"Praise Lady Amaryllis of the South, stolen Sorceress Supreme of Elvlossea."

"Be indebted to Sir Warden of the West, humble and stable keeper of our peace."

"Hail Princess Evangeline of the North, queen of snow and ice."

"And welcome these newest additions to the Forgotten Army, may the gods bless them."

***

"Come." Amaryllis beckoned them as she dragged them through the halls to her room. While the others had barely gotten used to the castle, Amaryllis already the walls memorized.

She sighed as the other piled in. "Ok. We leave tomorrow night at the crack of dawn."

Evangeline narrowed her eyes. "Why?"

"I don't trust them." Amaryllis explained. Lauren agreed. "Neither do I."

Adam - shook his head. "But explain to us why you don't trust them."

"Can't you see?" She snarled, "They want to get Lord Cassius off of the throne. Then what? They'll out one of their own members on the throne and kill us. They're using us. Maybe not now, but people buckle in the face of power."

Warden nodded. "Let's go."

Adam spun on him. "No. It's safe here." He insisted. "Let's stay."

"Amaryllis is right. People change quickly." Lauren said quietly.

Adam turned to Evangeline. "What about you."

Evangeline groaned and turned to step out of the door. "I'm going."

Amaryllis nodded. "Bring anything you need to me. I'll pack it."

Adam sighed in defeat.

Amaryllis felt anxious, a mixture of feelings including nervous, dreadful and concerned. But most prominent, excitement.

***

"Come on. Get in. I tried teleporting but it didn't work, I think we need to leave the grounds."

One by one, with few resistance, they climbed into Amaryllis's small clutch. It was light and they all fit, thanks to her magic.

She had gotten fork and clothes as long as anything the others wanted to bring.

She went down the stairs and to a guard. "May I go on a short stroll? My head pounds so."

The guard nodded and followed her closely as she walked along the path. Then she sharply spun around, her elbow smacking the guard's nose.

The guard screeched and tumbled, giving Amaryllis enough time to sprint off into the woods. The moment she was hidden, she channeled her energy and stretched it to another woods, the place Adam had told her to go to.

A moment later, she opened her eyes and saw a cottage, surrounded by fresh and lush green trees.

Stumbling towards the cottage, she opened her clutch and whispered into it. "Come our. We're free."