Chapter 10 - Lauren

"Let's have the Central Kingdom." Aisling announced. The representatives from the Central Kingdom stood and marched to the front. Lauren, Katya, Ella, Drew and Julian all came up. Lauren had a sword, Katya a sewing kit, Ella, Drew and Julian with nothing.

Lauren stepped up and flung her sword as a dummy came up. The people watched as she slashed and swung and ducked away from the robotic dummy.

Her stances were perfect and her energy still high. 2 years in the military and two more years of training could change a person. Drastically. But Lauren didn't let them mold her. At least, not yet.

She wasn't with them m enough for them to break her and turn her into their doll.

The sunny spurred it's fake arms at Lauren but she was too fast. Time seems to slow as she did a backflip. With a single, clean cut, Lauren sliced right through the neck of the dummy.

Applause and sounds of approval could be heard from all over.

Katya was next, and she sewed a dress he from scraps in just a few minutes. There were murmurs from the crowd. Many, Lauren included, couldn't see how this would be useful.

"Ella Grace."

Ella stumbled to her place, fragile frame trying to balance. Then she began.

Her legs almost floated as she performed her dance. Then she fell. The audience gasped as she tumbled and fell off of the stage. Someone screamed.

Two guards raced down to get her. Nobody bothered to try and catch her. Ella hit the ground with a thud. Then it began.

The crowd parted in all sorts of different ways as a small mob came to the front.

They carried weapons and angry looks. One of them hit Ella, now isolated and unconscious.

"Down with the Empire!" One of the mob members cried. Another one lit a match.

"May the monarchy die!" Another one yelled. People scattered and scrambled. Poor Ella lay on the floor as they set her leg on fire.

Guards rushed the candidates off of the stage. They ran, but Lauren stood her ground.

"Ella!" A stray guard screamed, fighting their way against the rush, horror and force of the crowd. Lauren realized with a pang that it was her sister, Nicholas. Nicholas caught Lauren's gaze, his face lighting up with recognition. Lauren shook her head sadly. Nicholas stopped, then he kept in going.

When he reached the front, the mob left. Lauren watched as Nicholas fell to his knees, holding Ella in his arms. He sobbed, his whole body wracking with pain. Then Lauren was whisked away.

***

Aisling brushed off her dress. "Well. This is a turn of events."

The competitors glanced at each other nervously. Some had tears slipping down their pale faces. Others were still not over the shock. They knew this was nothing new. Attacks happened all the time on the palace. Aisling cleared her throat.

"Ella Grace is dead." She called to the unsteady teens. "And we have not had a chance to complete the Central Kingdom displays. And we will not continue them. As such, we will ask for a volunteer to be eliminated. You shall be compensated and shall not be executed."

Murmurs go out in the crowd. Then Julian steps forward. "I volunteer."

Aisling smiles. "Very well. Farewell, Sir Peytro."

***

What was going on? Lauren lay on her bed. She thought about the day. She though about her home. She thought about Ella. And Nicholas.

She thought about the way the life left Ella's body and drained out of Nicholas's eyes. The rain pattered on the rooftop and Lauren closed her eyes. It was then when she realized how tired she was. She drifted off but couldn't fall asleep. She blinked in and out of consciousness before finally falling asleep.

***

Rows and rows of weapons lay on tables upon tables in the large training room.

"Choose." Captain Liam told them. Lauren wandered amongst the weapons, her eyes trained on a certain sword. She picked it up with one hand and immediately dropped it. It was heavier than expected.

She tried again with both arms. It worked. The weight of the iron strained against Lauren's muscles. She groaned. Setting it back down, she admired the hilt. It was made of what looked like solid gold. The gold was cool against the warmth of Lauren's finger. Shining rubies adorned the hilt and gold swirls were set into it.

A dagger lay next to it. The blade as also made of solid silver and the hilt made out of onyx. Teal zircons were set into the hilt.

"Are these of your liking?" Captain Liam asked her, appearing out of nowhere next to Lauren. She nodded. Captain Liam smiled. He picked the sword and dagger up and handed them to Lauren.

"May the patron spirits of these weapons guide you on your journey to victory. May they support you in your quests for glory for our Empire. I acquaint to you, the sword Honestus and the dagger Bellator."