Chapter 18 - Shannon

Shannon made sure her cloak was in place, rearranging her hoodie before she tackled the large crowd.

James was waiting for her at the end of the marketplace, carrying a basket full of groceries. Another hooded figure joined them, hushing them.

James led the three of them to the outskirts of the small village and into a shack. A simple round table was placed in the middle, with four three-legged stools surrounding it.

"Take a seat." James told them politely, putting away his goods and greeting them.

Shannon and their companion did as they were told. The wood against wood made a screeching noise.

James took off his hood, and Shannon and Aisling did the same.

James's shoulder length dark brown fell below his neck in a curtain around his face.

Shannon saw her own waist length golden blonde hair and rosy cheeks in the mirror.

Aisling's dark face seemed even darker than usual and lines were all over her face with worry.

She took out a folder and laid out two portraits.

The first showed a girl with ferocity in her eyes and pale blonde hair with cerulean eyes. The word "South" was scribbled at the bottom.

The second showed a young boy with a sort of hidden sadness that was reflected in his warm eyes. His freckled face smiled vibrantly. "West" was written at the bottom of his.

Aisling spoke. "As you all know, the candidates for the Trial are always hand picked. This time, it was by Lord Cassius."

Shannon and James nodded in agreement.

"Well, the games were rigged so that these five would make it to the end. I've figured out what he wants with the rest, but not these two."

Aisling took out three more portraits. Shannon took them and looked through them.

A pale girl with raven black hair and electric blue eyes that looked almost violet stared back at her.
She bore the word, "North."

Another portrait had a tan girl with honey brown hair and chestnut eyes looked off to the distance, her expression neutral. "Centre."

The last had hair so pale it was almost white, but with swirls of black. His light blue eyes were playful and full of energy. "East."

James took the one marked as "South" and snorted. "It is obvious."

Shannon and Aisling's heads turned to him. James looked at it thoughtfully. "There are two reasons. The first, I cannot reveal and the second... She is a member of the Sorcerer's Guild. The very guild he thought he had completely destroyed, except for Aisling."

Shannon cleared her throat, trying to break the tension. "Should we call Steven? Is the bomb ready?"

"We need not to engage Steven at the moment. As for the bomb..." James trailed off.

"It is not yet ready. Give it another week." Aisling finished for him.

Shannon sighed and got up. "Very well. I will extend the Trial for another week. But prepare quickly, and make sure the explosive will work."

Aisling tucked her head down obediently. "Very well, my mistress."