Chapter 24 - Finish That Chapter

Tegan gushed at the photo of Wolverine on her cell phone. Was she allowed to go to work Monday morning and flaunt it? No, no. She had to upload it on social media. That would show the world how lucky she was. How many people could say they randomly met Hugh Jackman in Toronto? None. That's how many. None at all.

"Are you still drooling?" Christian came to stand next to her on the balcony.

Tegan turned off her phone and cleared her throat. "How is that any of your business?" she asked.

"I guess it isn't," Christian replied looking away. Tegan couldn't help but stare at his bruised jaw. Her eyes then fell to acknowledge the cuts on his wrist. He had no one to blame but himself for that fight but she also didn't want to see him injured. Her initial instinct would be to ask if he was okay, but that might lead to them addressing the purpose of the brawl.

"Nanalee is having an after party at her place," the idiot went on. "Are you going?"

"No," Tegan replied.

"Is your boyfriend taking you home tonight?"
he slipped the taboo word into his question so casually, Tegan didn't get a chance to react to it. "He's got a mean right hook, I'll give him that."

Tegan felt her stomach churn. "First of all, he isn't my boyfriend."

"Yeah?" Christian probed with a straight face. "Does he know that?"

"What do you care?" Tegan asked. "Why go through all the trouble of starting that fight? Why don't you just man up and tell me what you're feeling."

A smile creeped up on Christian's face. "I'll tell you once I'm sure you can handle it."

"What the hell kind of pretentious answer is that?" Tegan barked. "You are giving me so much grief today, you know that?"

The smile vanished. "I'm giving you grief?"

"Yes!" Tegan pointed at him. "If it wasn't for you then none of this would have happened! If you told Misha how you feel about her from the beginning then she wouldn't have had a reason to throw that champagne at me!"

"Yeah," Christian drawled. "I'll take the hit, but you should stop pretending to be a Saint."

"What did I do that was so wrong?" Tegan was indignant.

"You feel for that doorknob!" It was the first time she saw the jerk lose his cool. His stare was daunting. Tegan felt her face heating up but she knew she couldn't let him win every argument they got into.

"S-So what if I did?" Tegan stammered. "You don't get to judge me based on my taste for men!"

"Then tell Scott how you feel," Christian's reply was cold. "Finish that chapter and move on with your life."

Tegan couldn't believe the nerve of him. He was making it sound like her feelings for Scott were a hinderance. "You're telling me to pick and choose?" she asked. "Didn't you just say you're not going to admit to your feelings until you know I can handle it?"

"I know what I said," Christian replied getting closer to her. Tegan backed up into the railing and clamped her cell phone. "But I'm not telling you to finish that chapter for me, I'm telling you to finish it for yourself."

Her cheeks. They were burning hot again.

"You deserve more from a man," Christian said.

-
The dance floor was clearing out and the charity gala was coming to an end. Tegan felt a little guilty about leaving Christian on the balcony, but now wasn't the time to deal with his wishy washy proclamations. If she let her feelings for Scott simmer away and focused on Christian Lu then she might find herself in more trouble than before. He acted like he wanted to be with her, hell, he flirted with her enough to give Tegan the wrong idea. Nonetheless, when it came down to talking about his feelings, he said Tegan wouldn't be able to handle them.