Chapter 20 - Ameba Brain

Tegan apologized to her dancing partner, an older woman in her forties who was primed and polished wearing a dark suit and expensive cologne. Tegan's attention was needed elsewhere. The spotlight had found Rhea in Warren Biel's arms. Tegan had to move quickly and break them up before Sean noticed.

Nanalee's commentary droned in the background. "Looks like someone is rebelling," the Leech was saying. She was doing this on purpose. It was pathetic. Before Tegan could take another step in the couple's direction, an arm pulled her back. It was Christian.

"Let go," Tegan demanded. "I have to stop them."

"I think it's too late," Christian told her.

Tegan turned to find Sean standing next to the couple. Oh no. This was bad. Shit. Tegan yanked away from Christian and left him to follow her towards the inevitable conflict. She barley got to them when Warren made his move on Rhea. He brought her close to his chest and kept her there, his eyes flowering at Sean. What the hell was he thinking? Did Warren want to start a fight? If he was trying to win Rhea back, it was doing it in the worst possible way.

"You didn't hear me the first time?" Sean sounded upset. Rightfully so, in Tegan's opinion.

The spotlight vanished right there and then. Tegan turned to find Red instructing the electricians to follow his orders. He then moved to talk to the DJ. Tegan could only assume she knew what the conversation was about, but when music filled the hall, she was happy to be right.

"I told you to let go of her arm," Sean kept talking over the DJ's track.

"Are you going to make me?" Warren glared daggers.

"Stop it," Tegan said to Warren.

The suit-wearer could talk back to Sean until the cows came home, but he would know better than to disregard Rhea's best friend. Warren locked eyes with Tegan for a brief moment before his grip on Rhea loosened. Tegan took that opportunity to pull her friend away from the awkward situation. Sean moved past Christian to follow the girls, bringing another problem to the table with him.

"Are you okay?" Tegan asked Rhea. "Do you need anything?"

Rhea forced a smile and shook her head. "I'm okay, really," she lied through her teeth. "Thanks for getting me out of there."

She spoke to Sean next. "I'm sorry," she apologized. "I didn't want that to happen."

Sean walked in for a hug. Rhea accepted him with open arms. "I believe you," Tegan heard him say. "He's just not getting the message."

Tegan wished things were as simple as that, but truth was, Rhea was weak when it came to Warren. A part of her was always going to be open to the idea of him and that was something Sean couldn't change.

"I'll go get her some water," Tegan said, giving them some space.

"Thank you," Sean replied.

He was a good guy. He didn't have ulterior motives, or any ill intend and nor did he have a crazy circle of friends that was set on splitting them up. Nonetheless, Tegan couldn't help but feel like Sean's relationship with Rhea was going to be short-lived.

-

"You should have let them be." Christian was officially following Tegan around. She was not in the mood to argue with him, and so allowed him to linger, and voice his unwanted opinions. "The more he throws himself at her, the more she will hate him for it. No one likes clingy people."

He would love that, wouldn't he? Tegan knew better than anyone that Christian Lu didn't want Rhea and Warren dating. What was the real reason though? Was it really for Warren's sake or because he didn't like Rhea? That girl wore her heart on her sleeve. Tegan knew this because she was the same way. They helplessly fell in love and poured their feelings into a jar, hoping someone, someday would come along and twist the top open.