Chapter 42 - Spoiler Alert

To Him is your return all together. [It is] the promise of Allah [which is] truth." (Quran 10:4)

Spoiler alert.

And from that day I dint hear from Omar until few years later something happened, something terrible-terrible happened. It was the most devastating phase of my life.
I lost a part of me and I thought I'd never recover from that shock. I thought I'd never believe in Allah again. I thought it was over, it was the end of life. What did I do to deserve something so bad to happen to me? Something so bad to happen in Zaroon and my life!
But then Omar came along.....and things changed. He made me believe again. But still to this day it is the most horrifying thing that has happened to me and sometimes I still burst out crying when I think about it.

It was just a night of Zaroon's birthday.........okay may be Im just telling it too fast. Ill get to that soon.

*         *         *

"Where's Omar? I thought he would stay for dinner?" Mum asks as she folds some clothes.
"No he left. He had to go somewhere urgently." I say akwardly.
"Okay you'll have dinner its served on the table I'll wait for your father" She says and goes to her room.

I go and sit next to Aisha bhabhi and watch Mahira play with her toys. I look at her carefully and she resembled Aisha bhabhi  so much. That feeling Aisha bhabhi had everytime she lifted Mahira in her arms or when Mahira called 'Ma' not clearly or everytime she'd laugh and Aisha bhabhi would laugh too. That. I wanted that.
I wanted to feel that. I wanted to start a family, my own family.
I decided to talk to Zaroon about it once he came back.

I have dinner and head back to my old room and fall asleep.

Days passed and I'd talk to Zaroon once every two days or sometimes even three days. I began to scratch every passing day on the calender hoping these six months would get over as soon as possible.
I'd spend some days with Mum and Fiza and everybody and some days with Gazala aunty.

I tried to keep myself busy by making plans of meeting Javeriya and Rehana but they would eventually get cancelled and I'd end up staying at home missing Zaroon.
Sometimes I'd go to visit my old school where I used to teach in summer holidays and meet all the new kids. As days passed It wasn't hard to stay away from Zaroon but it wasn't easier either. Thats what distance does to you. You get used to it.

I also went and visited Arzoo a few times but she opened the door only once so I thought to myself she's family she'll come around. And so I stopped visiting her When Jav or Rehana couldn't meet me I'd go visit them sometimes.

I'd do almost anything to keep myself occupied.

Three months later -

Finally after convincing Rehana and Javeriya to meet me I left my house that evening for a cup of coffee at cafe coffee day.
To my surprise they were already there before me.

"Assalamualikum" I greet as I take a seat.
"Walekum assalam" they greet back together.
"I thought I'd have to wait for half an hour call the two of you a few times and then I'd finally see you. But...you'll are already here" I exclaim.
"Hahah..Yeah that would have been a normal routine. But we no that with Zaroon not here your finding it tough and getting restless so we though we'd give you a tiny surprise by coming here early" Javeriya laughs.
"Hahaha..loved it" I say.
"So..when is he coming back?" Rehana asks without making eye contact.
"Three more months.90 days to go" I sigh.
"It'll pass soon dont worry" She says and taps my shoulder.
"Yess! I hope it passes fassst!" I say excited.
"And then we'd finally be together again. Inn sha Allah" I say with a wide smile.

"Inn sha Allah" Both of them say in chorus.

We order a cup of coffee and sandwich each.
The day I got married I thought I'd lost this. Meeting the two of them and sipping coffee and gossiping about random things. I thought my world would turn upside down but No it didn't I still met these two and sipped coffee and spoke about random things and went home to meet mum once in a while. It was not very different from the life I was livimg earlier. May be people are wrong may be you dont have to compromise so much when you get married or may be I was lucky not to have to compromise on anything.