Worries

Melody stares out over the landscape, bathed in the light of the setting sun. The wind rushes through her hair, drying her eyes far too quickly. They've been flying for a few hours now - long enough for her to stop being embarrassed over being the only one that can't fly. Oliver and Koji lead the way as they soar through the clouds, while Marcus hangs back in his winged lion form. Melody keeps a firm grip on his fur, her hands lost in the mess that is his mane.

We're finally going to the Shinto, she thinks, biting her lip harshly. She runs her tongue over the usual raw spot, sucking on it gently. What's it going to be like when we get there? How bad has it gotten? Will we even be able to see Amaterasu? Will they even let us in?

"Mel, calm down," Marcus says softly. Melody snaps out of her stupor, blinking in confusion. His voice is lost to the wind rushing through her ears, but she's sure he spoke.

"W-what?"

"Whatever's going on over there, it's not your fault. It's mine. So, relax."

"How did you-?"

"You only bite your lip like that when you're feeling bad about something," Marcus explains, ruffling his mane. "Plus, you've been pulling my fur for the last three miles." Melody immediately releases her death grip. Her fingers tremble from the strain they were under, and a few loose clumps of fur sit in her palms.

"I'm sorry! Are you-"

"I'm fine. Just relax." He says. Melody notices Oliver and Koji getting a little further away as Marcus slows. "We'll have to tell him what I did eventually, you know. I got on his case for lying to us, and he doesn't even know I'm the one that started it all."

"You didn't start this," Melody sighs, running her fingers through his fur to try to calm herself down. "I did."

"I acted on it." He counters.

"I didn't stop you."

"You wouldn't have been able to if you tried," Melody frowns as he glances back at her, his lips seeming to curl. "You want to argue all the way to the Shinto?" Melody sighs, looking to the side.

"No. So, let's just agree it's both of our faults." She says quietly.

"Deal. But we'll still have to tell him who I am."

"I know. I'm working on it." She says, looking back to Koji. A whole new sense of guilt settles into her stomach, and she bites her lip again.

"Stop doing that. You'll make yourself bleed."

"It wouldn't be the first time."

"Things wouldn't be like this if we just stayed in contact all those years," Marcus growls. Melody feels his ribs vibrate on her legs. "If that idiot Thor hadn't stuck his nose in-"

"Thor? What does he have to do with it?" Melody says curiously. She lays on his back, straining to hear him against the wind.

"Nothing," Marcus grunts dismissively. "By the way, why did you pick the cuffs? I would have gone with the necklace if I were you." He adds passively. Melody sits up straighter, her mouth falling open.

"How did...oh. Odin told you about it, didn't he?"

"Said I should know," Marcus replies. "You were raised by the Aesir; you shouldn't have any problem with the crueler option."

"Let me ask this. If they were going on me, would you still pick the necklace that burns your face?" She snaps. Marcus's head dips, and he growls again. "Exactly. I couldn't do that to you. But I still wanted a way to stop you if you tried anything funny." Her shoulders slump. "Not to mention, you already got your punishment. And even that was too much. You didn't deserve that." Silence falls over them for a time, and Melody slowly lays on him again, nuzzling into his soft fur. She can't remember the last time she got a good night's sleep - probably before leaving Olympus.