Newlyweds

Melody walks through the blazing white abyss of the underworld, squinting into the mist. Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes, focusing on the castle hidden by the haze. Her stomach drops as magic flows through her. When she opens her eyes, the massive structure looms before her.

The walls are made of chiseled obsidian, black as night. The windows are thin, giving off a delicate glow that reflects off the fog. Before her, in between two massive towers, is a pair of doors, easily twenty feet tall and made of charred wood. Thick metal bands hold the wood together, with a pair of brass handles where they meet. Around the door is a wide stone platform with a decorative fence taller than the doors. Behind her is a staircase, each step wide enough to park a car.

A low rumble catches Melody's attention, and she turns to the side, seeing the guardian of the gates glaring at her. The creature looks like a husky the size of a small bus, with three massive heads. The right head licks its chops, the left head growling threateningly. The middle head sniffs the air, narrowing its eyes.

"Well?" Melody says, raising her hands. "Come get me!" The creature howls and charges at her, its massive paws slamming against the stone. Melody grins, throwing her hands down. The monster suddenly flops onto its side, skidding to a stop in front of her and exposing its belly. All three heads pant heavily, their tongues hanging out as they look at her expectantly. Melody flops face-first into its stomach, waving her arms to scratch its belly.

"Good boys! I'm happy to see you too!" She giggles happily. The Cerberus squirms under her, its tail wagging and legs twitching over her. Melody lets herself sink into its fur, snuggling in with a content sigh.

"Mel!" Someone calls, making her freeze. Cerberus stops as well, its legs pausing midair as if playing dead. Melody peels away from it, brushing the extra fluff off her shirt before turning to her friend.

"Hey Kira," She says happily, holding her arms out. Kira chuckles, crossing her arms and shaking her head with a smirk.

"Not until you're de-fluffed. You look like a cotton ball." Melody looks down at herself, brushing a few more hairs from her clothes before giving up. She smiles at Kira, taking in her features; light brown hair, blue eyes, and freckles splattered across her fairy-like features. She has a single braid of hair hung over her shoulder, the rest of her hair left to hang loose down her back. Her clothes are bright and vibrant but covered in decorative chains and straps. But Melody's eyes are immediately drawn to the thin band of silver sitting on her finger.

"Kira, you didn't-" Melody squeals, rushing up and grabbing her hand. Kira giggles, spreading her fingers to show it off.

"Yep - two weeks ago, just after the...you know." Melody's smile drops a bit, and she releases Kira's hand. "Jake proposed, and now we're officially married."

"I'm so happy for you!" Melody says, trying to recapture her earlier excitement. It's been two weeks since Marcus staged his rebellion. "You didn't get in trouble for...you know?" She says softly. Kira gives a weak chuckle, turning to the door.

"Come inside, I'm sure Jake will be happy to see you too." She leads Melody into the castle. The halls are decorated with expensive-looking paintings and colourful flowers. Melody takes a deep whiff, absorbing the familiar scent of brimstone and pollen. After several twists and turns, Kira stops in front of an intricately carved door, knocking once.

"Jakey? We have a guest." She calls, pushing the door open a moment later. Melody follows, smiling politely at the boy on the bed.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" She says, stopping next to the door. Kira sweeps over to the bed, sitting down next to her husband. Jake sits up, grunting in pain. He's shirtless but covered in bandages. He clutches his chest as he rises, and Kira wraps an arm around him to keep him steady. On his finger sits a ring exactly like Kira's, and Melody suppresses a happy squeal.