A Clash of Ideals

Melody clings to Marcus as he falls limp in her arms. Fresh tears roll down her cheeks, and she gently lowers him to the ground. Haruto dashes to Koji, heaving him over his shoulder. Kaito kneels at Melody's side, sliding his hand down Marcus's chest. He says something, but all she can hear is the blood rushing through her ears and her own blubbering.

"I-Is he...?" She breathes, looking at Kaito. He touches Marcus's forehead, closing his eyes for a moment.

"No, he's alive," He confirms. Melody lets out a sob of relief, gripping Marcus's shirt tightly. "But we should move him," Kaito adds, pointing over her shoulder. Melody's heart drops when she remembers where she is. Slowly, she turns back, seeing the man smiling down at her.

"That was a good fight," Erlang says, leaning on his spear casually. "Make sure they get treated, getting struck by lightning is no joke."

"We need time," Melody says, holding her arms out to protect Marcus from him. "We can't-"

"I'll take care of him," Kaito assures, sliding his hands under Marcus. He lifts him up with a grunt, backing away slowly. "Your battle isn't done." Melody shivers, her eyes widening. She spent the night researching the Kami, not the Taoist gods. She has no idea what Erlang might challenge her to. She eyes his spear nervously, fearing what she would do if he wants to fight as well. She's never been in a fight before, except with Li Jing. Could she beat Erlang if she had to?

"Calm down, I'm in no hurry," Erlang assures, kneeling down to her level. "In fact, I have a proposal for you."

"I'm not giving you the treaty," Melody hisses, doing her best to sound confident. She balls her hands into white-knuckled fists, trying to regain her composure. But the image of Koji and Marcus getting struck by lightning is burned into her brain, stealing her focus. She bites her lip harshly, her body trembling.

"I wouldn't expect you to. After all, your friend's life is on the line," Erlang replies smoothly. He plops on the ground, crossing his legs and leaning his spear on his shoulder. "But killing Loki serves me no purpose. So, I see no need to continue with that game."

"But Fujin said-" Melody protests defensively. Erlang laughs, waving his hand.

"I told them I had business with you, and they assumed I wanted vengeance. But I think you'll find I'm far more reasonable than those two," He jerks his thumb over his shoulder, to where a small cluster of Kami are dragging Fujin and Raijin from the clearing. "Are you willing to hear me out, at least?" Melody slides back, her eyes flicking to Marcus and Koji. Kaito waves his hands over them, balls of white light hovering over his fingers.

"I'll hear what you have to say, but that doesn't mean I'll agree to anything," She replies coldly. Erlang nods, leaning back on his arms.

"Good. Like I said, killing your friend does nothing for me. In fact, I'd rather avoid any needless bloodshed. So, here's my offer; I'll surrender this little game, and you'll win the bet with the Kami. Loki's life will be spared." Butterflies flutter in Melody's stomach, and she has to stop herself from agreeing immediately.

"What's the catch?" She says instead. Erlang chuckles, pointing to the edge of the clearing where her handbag lays.

"We make another bet. If you win, I'll leave without a fuss. But if I win, you hand over the treaty." He explains plainly. Melody hums, glancing at the bag nervously. When the fight started, protecting the treaty completely slipped from her mind. She was too worried about Marcus and Koji. She glances at Erlang for any sign that he's going to lunge for it. He's sitting casually, like sitting in the dirt is the most comfortable thing in the world.