Olympian Counsel

Melody takes a deep breath, her hands pressed against her chest to slow her heart. This is it - the moment she's been waiting for. She chews on her lip, sliding her tongue over the raw spot her nervous habit has made. She has to succeed today. To convince the Olympians how important it is to change the way that things work.

"Zeus," Hecate says from the other room, making Melody flinch. She's right outside the Throne Room, the most important place on Mount Olympus. It's just one more reason she's so nervous; apprentices aren't allowed in the Throne Room until they complete their training. Another rule she has to break to make them see how flawed the old methods are.

As Hecate addresses the Olympians, Melody goes over her argument in her mind, searching for anything she may have overlooked. Months of research, long nights gathering information and building her case. What if she forgets something? Or the other Olympians don't side with her? She knows that Zeus will never change his mind; she has to appeal to the others and force a vote. That alone is going to be a challenge.

Kayla will take my side, she thinks. After the rebellion, the former apprentice was coronated as the official Aphrodite. So was her godly husband, Lucas - another vote Melody is sure she can count on. If anybody would understand her case, it's those two. Neither are happy about their forced marriage, or the fact that they have to be unfaithful to each other regardless. Julien will too - that's three, she adds, taking a deep breath to calm herself. If Kira is there, she may be able to sway Katrina's vote. And Tia is sure to be on my side. That's five. Which means it comes down to...

Melody claps her hands against her cheeks to draw herself from her thoughts. It's going to work, tells herself. She's spent days practicing her speech to perfection in the mirror. I will make them listen. I'm the only one that can.

"It's not my announcement," Hecate says, and Melody's heart skips a beat. That's the signal. She takes one more breath, steeling her nerves before stepping into the Throne room.

The first thing to catch her eye is the blazing fire in the center of the room. Twelve marble thrones sit around it arranged in a U, with five on each side and two facing her. They're set in a pit, with beautiful marble stairs leading to the rest of the room. The walls are lined with Greek-style pillars, leading to the doors mirroring the ones Melody just stepped through.

"...Hecate," A man says from one of the far thrones. He has bright blue eyes and seems to radiate power. His hair is thick, black with flecks of grey showing his age. He has a neatly trimmed beard and a thick neck, with a strong jawline. He sits casually, despite his clenched fists and tight jaw. "You are aware that apprentices aren't allowed in the Throne Room, aren't you?"

"I am," Hecate says, bowing her head low. She keeps a sly smile on her lips, pressing one hand to her chest. "But, since this is a problem caused by the next generation of gods, I felt it was only fair to allow them to represent themselves."

"I won't allow it," Zeus snaps, rubbing his bushy eyebrows with his knuckles. "This meeting is-"

"Wait!" Melody yelps before she can stop herself. She immediately claps a hand over her mouth and her racing heart all but stops. Zeus lowers his hand, glaring down his nose at her. Nobody speaks, and Melody feels all eyes turn to her. She scans the faces around her for support; Julien on the throne of Apollo, Tia on the throne of Athena. Next to Zeus is Katrina, the current Demeter, with Kira standing behind her. They all offer Melody silent smiles.

Feeling a surge of courage, Melody glances at the final throne on the left, furthest from Zeus. A boy stares back, his short brown hair wild and uncombed. He shifts in his seat, wringing his winged staff in his hands. Melody smiles to herself, confidence building. Everything is officially in place.