The Great Sage

"...uuugh..." Koji groans, his fluttering open. Kaito smiles, leaning back with a content sigh.

"He's awake," he says, turning to the rest of the group. Marcus nods, laying limply on the couch. Melody sits in the corner, hugging her knees to her chest. Her cheeks burn with embarrassment, and she only offers a silent nod in reply. She glances at Marcus, then quickly looks away when her face heats up even more.

When Marcus returned, most of the Kami dispersed, leaving only Kaito and Haruto. The medicine god promised he would stay with them until Koji recovered and would help Marcus heal the best he could. That didn't stop Melody from clinging to Marcus the entire way back to their shared living room. She only let go when Kaito said he needed to check Marcus's wounds - which is when she realized what she was doing. And now all she can do is try to convince herself she was trying to help him walk - and nothing more.

"What...?" Koji says, lifting his head. He grunts with pain, rolling onto his side. "Ow..."

"I'm afraid there's not much I can do for the pain right now," Kaito says, shaking his head sadly. "But I've healed most of your injuries. Get some rest and you should feel better by tomorrow."

"Thanks," Marcus says, touching the bandage wound tightly around his head. "Same for me?" He adds. Kaito glances over his shoulder, and Melody can't tell if his glare is a good sign or not.

"Koji is a god of storms. His body is used to channeling electricity, so he only had mild injuries. But you-" He turns to face Marcus directly, counting on his fingers as he lists off Marcus's injuries. "You have a mild concussion, three cracked ribs, severe burns - not including the ones you arrived with," he clarifies, gesturing to the wounds around Marcus's eyes. "Your leg was sprained, nearly broken by the time I got to it. How you've been walking around for the last few days I'll never know - and then you decided to walk nearly five kilometers with Erlang Shen." Melody's grip tightens on her arms, digging her nails into her skin harshly.

"I'm fine," Marcus says with a wave. "I'll be better in no time."

"Maybe when I'm done with you, if you're lucky," Kaito replies with a huff. "Quite frankly, I don't know how you're not dead." Melody flinches at the word, but Marcus just shrugs.

"I'm tough."

"You're stubborn," Kaito corrects. "I'm going to go mix some medicine that should speed up your recovery. But until I return, you're not to do anything. Understood?"

"He won't," Melody promises, glaring daggers at Marcus when it looks like he's about to argue. Her eyes are still puffy and stinging from how much she's been crying, but she does her best to look fierce. "I won't let him."

"Good. Then I'll be back in an hour - assuming I have all the ingredients in my office." He heaves himself to his feet, his breathing noticeably heavy as he crosses to the door. He pauses before opening it, turning back to his patients. "I didn't realize how late it was. I'll have someone bring some dinner for you." Melody blinks at him, scanning the room for a window or clock. She finds one hanging on the wall opposite the door, reading 8:13 pm.

"When did...?" She starts, but her voice fades before she can finish the thought. Kaito spent hours treating Koji - and even longer working on Marcus.

"You should eat. All of you. Doctor's orders," Kaito says, slipping through the door. He slides it closed behind him with a gentle click. Koji groans again, massaging his forehead with his fingers.

"What happened? How long have I-"

"A while," Marcus says dismissively. "We won, so don't worry about that. Sent Erlang packing too." Koji nods, letting out a weak laugh.