More than Perfect

Melody blinks to wipe her eye, and before she knows it, the world shifts. Her stomach drops, and she lets out a small squeak of surprise. The air turns dry and hot, and she feels the sun beating against her skin. When she opens her eyes she's met with a small town split right down the middle by a four-lane highway. She twists in place, her mouth falling open as she takes in her new surroundings.

The town would seem sad if she didn't know who lives here. They're standing on a bridge over the highway, the desert stretching out as far as the eye can see all around them. On one side of the bridge are dozens of houses, with a mountain on the horizon beyond. The sun hangs just behind it, slowly sinking behind its peak. On the other side is what looks like an industrial district, with all kinds of factories, strip malls, and restaurants.

"This is-!" She breathes, her eyes sparkling with excitement. Oliver nods, stepping away from her and staring at the ground.

"Welcome to Empire," He says, panting softly. "Home of the Ennead."

"Which way is their base?" She says, searching for any sign of an ancient tomb or pyramid. Oliver points across the bridge, and Melody squints against the sun.

"New Empire High, just over there. If you want, you can go ahead, I'll-"

"Nope," Melody says, linking arms with him again. "There is no way I'm going off on my own in an unfamiliar town - let alone the home of another Pantheon." Oliver squirms and shivers like a cold worm, but Melody ignores his protests, dragging him in the direction he pointed.

For such a small town, Melody can't help but see its charm. The small trees planted on patches of green that seem like they shouldn't exist in a desert. The hustle and bustle of people rushing to and from work. She has no trouble believing that gods live here. She swats at a fly buzzing around her head s they get close to the school, and Melody stares at the building, wondering if it's where the gods hold their meetings.

New Empire High looks more like two towers connected by a tunnel. The entrance is only one floor, and she can see all the way through to the back of the building through the windows. The two towers are four stories tall, full of glimmering windows that reflect the sun like mirrors. Excitement builds in Melody's gut, mixed with curiosity and anxiety. She managed to convince the Olympians to let her visit the other Pantheons. Now, not even an hour later, she's standing on the Ennead's doorstep. Maybe creating the new treaty won't take as long as she thought.

"Oliver!" A girl calls, and Oliver twitches in Melody's grip. A girl dashes from the front of the school, and Melody has to take a step back to avoid being bowled over as she throws herself on him. She has long, dark hair, and pretty green eyes decorated with eyeliner wings. She's wearing tight jeans with the cuffs ripped off the bottom of the legs, and a long-sleeved shirt with thumb holes. For the first time since they've met, Melody sees Oliver smile as he catches the girl, hugging her tightly.

"You're here," The girl breathes, pressing her lips to his. Oliver's cheeks flush as he kisses her back, melting into her embrace. Melody can't help but giggle as they whisper greetings, nuzzling to each other before either realizes that she's still there. The girl pulls back, slipping her hand into his.

"Sorry - who are you?" She says, narrowing her eyes. Melody giggles again, holding her hand out politely.

"My name is Melody - but I prefer Mel. I'm an apprentice god from Mount Olympus." The girl raises an eyebrow, shooting Oliver a look before taking her hand. Melody pauses, feeling a spark of power from her fingers.