What I Overheard

Natasha felt terrible for leaving Valeriya with those guards. She cringed as she remembered Valeriya's frustrated cry as they grabbed a hold of her. Natasha continued to remind herself that Fury would take care of her, making sure she felt comfortable here. Still, Natasha couldn't shake the strange feeling this girl gave her. Those green eyes seemed to stir up memories of her past. She kept thinking she knew this girl from somewhere. Her mind flashed back to the classroom where she first saw Valeriya. She had taken down that guard, the same way Natasha was trained to do in the Black Widow program. Could this girl have been in that program? She is Russian, it would make sense.Natasha shook her head. No, that is not possible. The Black Widow program taught a variety of fight styles from all around the world. It was more than likely that this girl learned it from a dojo or something. Natasha made her way down to the recruitment bunks, where she knew Fury would send Valeriya. She made her way down, silently cursing herself for not checking what room number Valeriya was sent to. She hopelessly trudged down hallway after hallway, hoping she would bump into the girl. She sighed as she made it to the last hallway, giving up hope.

"I'll ask for her tomorrow" she muttered to herself. But, as she came across the last door in the hallway, a noise stopped her. Her blood turned to ice as she heard the light singing coming from the room to her left. She moved closer, and froze when she heard the lyrics.

Where a baby's green eyes glisten

Listen

Ev'ry night you'll hear her croon

A russian lullaby

Just a little plaintive tune

When baby starts to cry

Rock-a-bye my baby

Somewhere there may be

A land that's free for you and me

And a russian lullaby

Natasha breathed in sharply. That song, she thought to herself. I have heard that before. Her vision blurred as a face flashed on the inside of her eyelids. A small child, maybe two years old smiling up at her. Large green eyes shining up at her, and brown hair down to her shoulders.

"My little Valeriya" Her own voice echoed through her brain. Her mind swelled up with memories, bits and pieces of a child. Running around her feet, smiling up at her. Natasha stumbled away from the door, around a corner, and slumped down against the wall. She tried to control her breathing.Where did those memories come from? Were they hers? Why was Valeriya there, as a child? Her mind swirled with question, but Natasha forced them down. She told herself it was just her imagination.But the song still rung in her ears. Valeriya's voice echoes through her mind, telling her she knew this girl. Natasha's heart raced as she heard Valeriya's door open. She dashed out into the base, for her mind finally made the connection.

She had sung that song once,

To her dead daughter....

A Russian Lullabyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें