Russian Lullaby

"JENNA" Valeriya heard herself scream. She was once again standing over the body of her friend.

"Where ever you go, death will follow" the evil voice bounced around her head. Valeriya screamed and sprinted out of the classroom. She could hear the woman's voice, echoing through her head, taunting her about her dead mother, yelling at her when she failed a task. Valeriya could feel the whip strike her back and she fell to the ground, gritting her teeth to keep from crying out. She rolled over on her back to see the woman looming over her, the whip tightly gripped in her hand.

"I don't want to do this to you, fraulein." The woman laughed, brandishing her whip. "But if you must insist on not doing what you're told, you give me no choice" as the woman was about to bring the whip down on Valeriya, when she cried out.

"Отлично! Изысканные я сделаю это." Valeriya cried. The woman smiled cruelly,

"Go then. Prove yourself worthy of the Black Widow program" The dream shifted and Valeriya watched herself kill a multitude of people. Snapping people's necks with ease, gunning down men, women, and children. To her horror she smiled, as she learned to enjoy her job. Once again her dream shifted, she watched her self on her last mission. She vaguely remembered she was sent to kill another assassin, from America. She was scaling a building, a dark hood pulled over her head. Her eyes narrowed, finding her target perched on another roof a few yards away. She cocked her head as she observed the man's weapon. She snickered when she realized that is was a bow and arrow.

"Какой идиот" (what an idiot) she muttered in Russian. She silently jumped up onto the edge of the roof. Her hands gripped her gun tight, as she slowly rose her hand up, not making a sound. She watched, as her spot was discovered. Another person, a man in red and gold armor had spotted her, and yelled a warning at her target. Her target turned swiftly, and before Valeriya could blink, he shot an arrow at her shoulder. She fell backwards but didn't cry out, the serum the Black Widow program had given her, made the injury barely noticeable. She carefully removed the arrow from her shoulder, and stood up.She jumped back as she came face to face with the man in the red armor. 

"Who the hell are you?" He barked at her. Valeriya was terrified, but did not show it. She allowed herself to smile cruelly at the man. Her target had appeared behind the man, and Valeriya snarled. She did not answer the man, and quickly rose her gun and shot at her targets arm. She laughed maniacally as she heard him cry out in pain. The other man yelling after him. She then gracefully jumped off the side of the building. Her dream shifted on last time, a voice rang in her head.

"You are a monster" it growled.

Valeriya shot up from her sleep, her fists clenched and sweat beading down her forehead. She sighed gratefully when she found herself back in her small SHIELD room. She swung her feet around and placed her feet firmly on the floor. Her mind raced back to her dream, making her scream in frustration. She punched the wall before she could even think. Her knuckles did not bleed, or become bruised like normal people's fists would. The serum the program had injected her with had come with irregular benefits like this.She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. She sat down on the bed, and closing her eyes she began to sing. This song was sung to her when she was merely a child, yet she remembered every word. It always made her calm down.

                                            Where the dreamy volga flows

                                             There's a lovely russian rose

                                                       Gazing tenderly

                                                    Down upon her knee

                                       Where a baby's green eyes glisten

                                                            Listen

                                         Ev'ry night you'll hear her croon

                                                    A russian lullaby

                                               Just a little plaintive tune

                                               When baby starts to cry

                                                Rock-a-bye my baby

                                            Somewhere there may be

                                       A land that's free for you and me

                                               And a russian lullaby

Valeriya smiled, her temper vanishing from her head. She got up, and decided to grab a quick shower. After she emerged from the small shower, she quickly changed into a fitted uniform that SHIELD had left out for her. She opened the door to her room slightly, and stared down the hallway outside. She relaxed a bit, as she realized that she was alone in the hallway. She shut the door behind her and bounded down the hallway, determined to find the red-haired woman again.As she turned the corner, she could have sworn she saw a shadow racing away from her. She shrugged it off and continued further into the base.