22- The Truth Behind Truths

The Truth Behind Truths

                  We pulled up to the Brady residence- Jassandra and I, in my car, and Dupree, Meridian, and Kellie Maitland, in Meridian’s car. I had picked up Meridian after she blew my phone up, whining for me to “come and get her”…she neglected to get her own car on Friday night, after we had dropped Dupree at his place, she, opting to stay with him over the weekend.

                  Mrs. Brady answered the door…she wasn’t American-type Latino, but more European-type Latino, as if she were originally from Spain or Portugal. She had beautiful light brunette hair, with lots of body to it…although she was sort of petite, like her daughter. “Come on in…Gissele is expecting you. Right this way,”

                 We walked through a series of rooms, each more extravagant than the other…we finally arrived at the patio, covered with a retractable awning. Gisselle sat at the patio table, reading a book. She looked to us, and smiled…she was definitely looking cleaner, and well rested. Mrs. Brady opened the patio doors, as we stepped out into the garden area.

                 “I…I haven’t read anything in a while. I was trying to catch up,” she announced, meekly. Meridian sat beside, as did Kellie. “Thank you, Meridian…I don’t think I could’ve come back without seeing you,”

                 “Gissele…I am sorry that I doubted you,” said Kellie. “I didn’t know what happened…you disappeared that night, and then Pennel told us that you and she fell out, and she hadn’t seen you since. You were always one of us, and if we had known, we would’ve backed you up,”

                  She and Kellie embraced in their heartfelt, friendship hug. Kellie moved some of Gissele’s stray hairs out of her face. “You need anything, you call me or Meridian,”

                  “Okay,” nodded Gissele, as her eyes welled up. “If I had known I had this many friends in high school,”- we laughed.

                  “We may not have been the best of friends, but nobody would’ve wanted this to happen to you,” said Jassandra. “If you have any more issues, I got your back, Gissele…okay?”

                  “Thank you Jassandra,” smiled Gissele. “I’m going to a rehabilitation center by the end of the week, and get myself cleaned up…once I’m okay, I’m going to start applying to some schools,”

                  “That’s the spirit! Get back up on that horse, and ride it,” said Dupree. We looked to him with the strangest face…Dupree, being a cheerleader?

                  “What? I can’t be encouraging?”

                  We all burst into laughter. Mrs. Brady came out to the table, being a hospitable hostess, with glasses of lemonade. We each took a glass, and thanked her, as she returned inside. I took a sip. “I guess what we’re all trying to say, is despite whatever issues we had in high school…that was then. I wasn’t trying to get my name in any papers or be famous when I wanted to help you, Gissele. All I saw, was a friend, in need,”

                   “Thank you, Mitchell, that you didn’t quit on me,” she squeaked. “I’m sorry that I ran the first time…I was too scared to come home and face the truth. To me, it was much easier to keep doing what I was doing…I’m still scared, of Pennel- of what she might do to me,”

                  “Don’t,” said Meridian. “Pennel has done worse to me…and I’ve bounced back. Pennel has no real power, other than that, which we give her,”