2- Ice Cream

Ice Cream

                 I rose from the bed, after napping out for what seemed an eternity. The sun was almost down, and it seemed a little quiet in the house. I knew Dad didn’t come home until 8-ish, and I also knew Mom was cooking dinner for the first time in a while, since we’d had left to college. I looked at my phone…there was a text message from good ol’ Dupree, welcoming me back. I laughed a little…Dupree was that one guy in school that everyone knew, and was cool with…he was also a weedhead, but that was the trait, that made folks get along with him even more…no matter what went down, Dupree always stayed mellow most of the time. Even folks at other schools knew him…Dupree was a social butterfly- I mean, that dude got around. I replied back, thanking him…I then left my room heading downstairs…I could smell the roast chicken that mother had in the oven, as well as hearing female voices. I reached the bottom of the stairs, catching the voices out of the glimpse of my eye…there sat Meridian, with her friends Kellie, Scarlett, and of course, Pennel, whose eyes lit up the moment she seen me. “Oh! Hi Mitchell…how are you doing?”

                   “I’m doing well…had a nap…it’s been a long day,” I replied. Before I could turn to go to another room, Pennel was out of her seat and wrapping her arms around mine. “I understand…sorry about Ms. Haddie…she was a nice lady. That’s why we are taking Meridian out-to cheer her up…you wanna come with…?”

                   I kind of cut my eyes to Meridian, who was shaking her head. I smiled, laughing a little on the inside. “Nah…Meridian needs her friends to lift her spirits more than I do…maybe another time,”

                    Pennel put on a pouty face…oh boy, here comes the whiny speech she always delivers. She looked to me with her pleading eyes. “Why do you hate me, Mitchell? What did I ever do to you?”

                   I rolled my eyes. “I don’t hate you, Penn…you’re a very beautiful and attractive girl…it’s just that…we are on different levels,”

                  She looked to me with that same look that Mom had given me when she walked in on me and Jassandra. “Are you still fawning over that Jassandra girl? What does she got, that I don’t have?”

                   Pennel had a very nice bod, green eyes, and short brunette hair in a pixie cut…I don’t know, but pixie cuts on a girl were a turn-on, for me. Her skin was nice and tan, as she spent her summers in Hilton Head, or Savannah. And she didn’t wear her lip gloss all thick like some females do...just the right amount, which made her lips look exquisitely yummy. Back in high school, her hair used to be longer…this girl was yummy incarcinate- but yeah, I was still stuck on Jassandra. I rolled my eyes feigning, that I wasn’t. “I’m not still tripping over Jassandra. But I do feel bad for her that her grandmother died,”

                   A smile came to Pennel’s face. “Good, then…you’ll go out to dinner with me, Monday night?”- I groaned on the inside…if I said no, then I would be only perpetuating her suspicions that I am still head busted over not being with Jassandra. But if I said yes, then that could possibly open up a whole other can of worms…but I had no choice.

                    “Sure, Monday night. What time?”

                    “Be a gentleman, and pick me up at 7-ish,” smiled Pennel. “You pick the restaurant,”- I gave a slight smile, as she released my arm. The ladies started to leave, me looking to Meridian…she chuckled slightly. She knew I didn’t wanna go to dinner with Pennel, but she also knew how much Pennel was crushing on me. There were times, when we raked the yard in the fall, and Meridian is sittin there tellin me, what Pennel was saying about me…like I said, Pennel is not an ugly girl, but she does have somewhat a spoiled bitch mentality, and that is a turn-off for me.