4- Bittersweet Complexities

Bittersweet Complexities

              We pulled into the office, where Riley Kessel was waiting. His eyes grew large as I brought her up. “My God! What the hell happened?”

               I looked to Meridian, who nodded her head. I then turned to Riley. “Cocaine…her nose started bleeding,”-we put her on the examination bed. Riley looked at her. “She’s looking really pale…did she lose a lot of blood?”

               “Not a lot. I think she just got sick at the idea that so much came out,” I said, while Meridian is lying on the examination bed, flopping and whining. Riley looked up her nose. “Okay…it’s not as serious as we thought. While a couple of vessels did rupture, her nasal cavity is still intact. All she needs to do is not do any coke, and it will heal,” he replied. “Just let me put some ointment in there,”

                “Thanks Riley,” I breathed, in relief, sitting down on one of the medical stools. Riley put some ointment on a swab, and went up Meridian’s nose…she squirmed for a second, then stopped. He looked to me. “This ointment has a little mentholyptus in it to open up her nasal passages, as well as petroleum properties to keep her nasalway moist and heal properly,”

                 I nodded, now that the crisis was over. He looked to her. “What the hell, Meridian? Why do you think I didn’t date Pennel? And why do you think I wanted to be with you…? Because you were nothing like her, Meridian,”

                  I could hear her sniffling. I looked over to Meridian, turning her head away from Riley. “I’m sorry…I’m sorry,”

                  He sighed, in angst, but he held her hand. “Promise me you will stop doing coke…please. I really like you a lot, Meridian,”- I silently groaned at that part…good ol’ Riley- sappy as ever. But Meridian bought it, squeezing him tightly, as they hugged. “I promise…no more coke,”

                  Hours later, Meridian walked up as I sat in the waiting room…why do hospitals and doctors offices always have boring ass magazines? Do they want you know that time is moving slowly, while you await medical mistreatment? I looked up to Meridian, who looked a little more serene besides, having her color return to her skin. She smiled, then kissed my forehead. “Thanks brother…thank you,”

                   “Let’s go,” I said, as Riley came out, locking up. I got in the car, as Meridian talked with Riley some more…they kissed. I wanted to get out of the car, walk over there, and punch Riley in his fucking face, but I’m trying to trust in Meridian. They finished, and she came to the car, noticing the look on my face. “You are only older by a few minutes, not by years,”

                   “Still…Riley’s a dork, and you’re my sister,” I grumbled, pulling off. There was silence in the car for at least a few minutes before Meridian spoke. “I know you may not believe me, but I am for real…I’m going to keep my promise to Riley- and Dad. No more drinking, and coke…and I’m going to apply myself so that I’ll finish up my freshman year with passing grades,”

                   “Okay,” I said. Not that I didn’t believe her, but after living with- and knowing Meridian for years, I know that her constitution isn’t that strong. I don’t know what it is…maybe Dad coddled or spoiled her a little too much. But everyone could see the difference…we were like night and day- everyone called me a military brat, and called Meridian a debutante. I was cool going to the Gap and Macy’s, and Meridian had to do Banana Republic and Dolce/Gabana. I just wanted her to be her own woman for once, and not cave into the pressure. We arrived home, and Meridian gave me a big hug…I knew she appreciated what I had done for her. “Goodnight, Mitchell…and thanks,”