16- A Midsummer Night's Dream

NOTE: In a decision to break up a "somewhat monotony" I had started experiencing, I had decided to get the perspective of another charecter from the story. This chapter is being told from Meridian's point of view. Enjoy!

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

                  I sat there, as Mitchell had went up the stairs…the look he had given me had really creeped me out, like he was angry with the world. I have to admit that Mitchell is like our father in that sense that he hardly ever gets angry, and when he does, you never want to see him that way. I felt really bad about the whole situation- I’ll admit, that I have been quite defiant in my actions. I had done coke and Adderall, I had often come home in a drunken stupor, but in all honesty, I had always felt as long as Mitchell had my back, that I would be safe. I’ve never been what you would call a strong person, as my brother was my security blanket…but all that had disappeared when I watched in sheer horror as Dre Hammond and his cronies nearly beat the living life out of him. I felt helpless…I wanted to protect him, the way he had always protected me. My ribs were busted up, as well as I was still dazed from the drugs that Dre and his peeps had injected into me, after he had beaten me. With every punch that they had given my brubby, I felt like they had hit me too. I had never seen Mitchell so unable to fend for himself, as he was in that moment. I was relieved, when they had stopped.

                   I thought about Pennel, as I stared off into nothingness…she and I had been friends since we sat beside each other in 3rd grade. It was really weird though, because all of us moved around in similar circles…Pennel and I had gotten the same amount of Valentines in our Valentine’s Day box. She looked at me, and extended her hand. “I’m Pennel,”

                   “Meridian Hollister,” I said. I know…back then, I was a big fucking dork. I didn’t dress gawd-awful, but I had this stupid sunshine-assed personality. Pennel invited me over her house…when I first seen the Phelps’ Estates, I thought I was at Neverland Ranch, or something- it was so friggin HUGE! Then I met her butler, Mansfield, and her brother Jansen…I have to admit- Pennel’s brother was hot! I had a crush on Jansen until 8th grade, when I started paying more attention to Eric Cross.

                   I remember the next day, when Pennel met Mitchell…her eyes lit up with excitement. We had the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing going on back then, but Pennel was like, lovestruck with Mitchell. He was standing there in his spring baseball uniform, with his blonde hair blowing in the wind. Pennel walked to him. “I’m Pennel,”

                   “Mitchell Hollister,” he said. They stood there, staring at each other for like, forever…Then Jassandra came, and grabbed him. “C’mon Mitch, we are late for the game,”

                   I walked to her as she watched Mitchell and Jassandra leave. She had this devious smirk on her face. “Your brother is foine! Does he have a girlfriend?”

                   “No,” I answered.

                   “One day, he will be mine,” Pennel said, with a savory tone in her voice. One day turned into never, as Mitchell never catered to Pennel, upon seeing how she was. It never really bothered me when she went into “bitch mode”…I guess it was because I was never on the receiving end, but Pennel used to really lay into folks, and make them get out of character. She was a bitch, and she embraced it. By the 5th grade, we became friends with Kellie Maitland, and then in 6th grade, we annexed Scarlett Brewster into our little clique. Kellie lived in the same neighborhood as I, and she had won all the beauty pageants every year. Kellie was beautiful- she had full blonde hair, a great smile, a nice athletic body, as how she exercised to workout videos and DVDs. She had a wonderful bubbly voice and charisma, but as far as her looks went, Pennel and I looked even better than she. Pennel and I never participated in the pageants for the same reasons that Mitchell never joined mainstream sports- we felt it objectified women, making us look like elegant monkeys. Scarlett stayed in the outskirts, near Pennel. Her father was on the board of a famous international multimedia company, which made them “Oprah” rich. Scarlett’s father was British, and her mother was of Scottish descent- the reason why Scarlett had a fiery attitude, as well as her red hair. Her parents had divorced long ago, and Scarlett opted to live with her father in Annapolis…her mother lived in Vermont. Her father had married an Asian woman, who Scarlett didn’t really care about. Her name was Ling, and upon seeing her, I could understand why Scarlett’s father was taken by her- she looked pretty hot for an older Asian woman (she was ten years younger than Scarlett’s dad), and she tried to be cool. One time she walked in on us watching porn in Scarlett’s bedroom, when we had a sleepover…we were sure she was going to tell Scarlett’s father on us. But she didn’t. At another sleepover, she showed us her vast collection of pleasuring “toys”, after we had gotten sloshed as hell. But as much, as Scarlett didn’t really feel Ling, she had a weird sort of respect for her. When Scarlett got in trouble when we had left school to go to a “cut party” (a party that was held by people who were skipping school that day), Ling came to the school, and bailed Scarlett out of being suspended.