DRAFT 5: Chapter | 3 | Orientation

Another peek into the final editing of Borrowed. Comment below to tell me what you think! Enjoy! :)

I've left one confrontation, only to stumble upon another. Up top of the opera house stairs, two men in gray suits seem to be in a heated conversation. The taller man clutches the other's lapels, yanking the man forward. 

"Hello?" a female voice calls out. 

I turn away from the argument. A girl with short blonde hair stares in my direction. "Me?" I say. 

"I was wondering if you're going to Orientation?" she says, taking a step closer. 

I sigh, and pull the scarf down from my mouth. "That's why I'm standing on these steps, and it's not because of my undying love for opera." When I glance back at the two men, I see them disappear inside the building. I turn back to the prying girl, narrowing my eyes. 

She looks taken back, but then it fades away with a smile. "Great! Could we go in together? I'm a little nervous to be honest." 

"Um..." I hesitate, not wanting to spark up a friendship. 

You don't do friendships, remember? 

"Thanks," she says, inviting herself along. "By the way, I'm Bianca." Her hand extends toward mine. 

Slowly pushing my hand toward her, we shake. "Irissa," I say in an almost whisper. 

She turns her head. "Sorry didn't catch that. What did you say?" 

"Ehhhh-risssss-ahhhhhh," I say, again, this time I felt the need to exaggerate. 

"That's such a cool name," Bianca says excitedly. "Sorry...I don't have many friends, being home schooled and all..." 

Great, this girl is the clingy type. 

My face feels warm from her chirpiness. I look away from her, and point at the entrance doors. "We're late," I say with satisfaction. "I'm planning on getting kicked out. Want to join me?" I'm just hoping she gets cold feet and decides to go inside alone. 

Bianca smiles and grabs hold of my hand, pulling me along through the revolving glass doors. I try to yank free from her tight grip. We step inside and stop in awe. L' Opera is immaculate. Three large crystal chandeliers dangle high from the cathedral ceiling. A bounty of mosaics embellishes the walls in intricate colors and drawings. 

"Holy crap!" Bianca says, her voice echoing in the lobby area. The receptionist glares at us, pointing toward the staircase. I notice one of the men from outside standing quietly at the bottom step. He glances down at a piece of paper in his hand. 

"Y'all are late," the woman with a southern accent says at the front desk. "Just up them stairs is the dining hall." She waves her hand to dismiss us. 

Bianca leads the way toward the staircase. The gray suited man steps forward, his arms crossing over his broad chest. He pulls back his shoulders, his nose high in the air as though he is sniffing us out. 

Bianca freezes next to me. "Excuse us," she mumbles. 

I guess that's a good start. 

The man laughs. "Look who we have here, a couple of lost pups," he says. I want to slap the stupid grin from his face. 

Maneuvering in front of Bianca, I place my hands on my hips. "Excuse us," I say. "We're running late because of the sandstorm. And for your information, we're not pups. You're looking at a couple of teenage girls who are being forced to harbor those things.