Chapter 5

Wednesday had been thinking about Enid's rant since last night. Was her change in behaviour that noticeable? She had simply picked up a few of her fathers annoying traits since mother had fallen for them time and time again. How I'll never understand.

Over the summer Xavier had somehow managed to pry the fact I had warmed up to Enid from me, insisting that I finially wanted to become friends with the girl. The man child would've been dead by now if he hadn't offered advice on how to get closer to her. Why I trusted his opinion I'll never know and clearly Enid wasn't taking to the changes so well.

He informed me about how much Enid appreciates physical touch, despite my disliking for it, and that I'd have to get used to her. Of course, I didn't share with him how I actually enjoyed her hug once I finially let it happen. I guess all that time refusing physical touch had somehow made my body crave it. Oh how I hate it when I betray myself.

That also included a thing called nicknames. Apparently they were considered 'cute' and a way of bonding. He strongly disapproved of my original suggestion, insisting she'll get mad if I called her a dog. That's how pup came to light.

I walked out of the shower, towel drying my hair. Enid was still asleep, taking up the far side of my bed by the wall.

I sat at the edge of my bed and tapped her shoulder, calling her name lightly. She groaned and swatted my hand away. "I'm up. I'm up" she assured.

Enid stretching bedside me, I grabbed the brush from the top of my drawers and started brushing my hair.

"You look pretty with your hair down" a mumbled voice came from behind me.

I turned to look at the girl, a halo of white, blue, pink and purple in all directions, covering my pillow. A smile crept onto my face. "You look horrible with bed hair"

The blondes eyes narrowed at Wednesday, jabbing her back with her foot.

"The good kind" Wednesday corrected.

Blue eyes softened and the girl sat up on her knees, taking up residence behind the goth girl. Enid gently took the brush from Wednesday's hand, the latter hesitantly allowing her to with a questioning look on her face.

My gaze followed her as she reached for the hair ties on my nightstand and got comfortable behind me. She reached for my jaw, setting my head straight again.

In answer to the unasked question, Enid started brushing the girl's hair, running her fingers through it and parting it ready to braid.

I must admit, Enid was very careful with me and definitely a better braider than I thought she would be, not as good as me but I could fix the uneven plaits later.

Suddenly the girl tugged at my hair, gasping to show she had an epiphany. A noise of annoyance and unexpected hurt left my throat. "Enid" I warned, my voice stern.

"Sorry Nes, I just thought of something. We have to go dress shopping!"

She resumed braiding, a little more excitement replacing the surprisingly calm facade she had moments before.

"Why on earth would I agree to that?" I rolled my eyes despite the wolf not being able to see the action.

"Because it'll be fun. We're going into town anyway so may as well. Come on Wends! Pleaseeeeeee"

"Fine, just stop making that insipid noise" I groaned. "I can never enjoy Enid enduced headaches"

The pleading stopped and she again swatted at my arm. My braids were placed over my shoulders and Enid crawled off of the bed, perching on the floor infront of me to admire her work.