Chapter 1

Nevermore - I was here once again and absolutely nothing has changed. The air still seemed thick with fog and the sky consistently not quite dark but not bright either. It made the historic building seem gloomy. One good thing about this place.

The next year of school didn't start for another week but most of the halls were bustling with students getting settled, like my parents insisted I did.

I hadn't faught them so much on that idea as the school had grown on me during my past adventures. So did a certain colourful roommate but I would never let her know. I wouldn't hear the end of it from her and it would be quite a shame to have to kill her after all this time.

The goth girl wasn't lying when she addmited to her tall roommate how much of an impact she had made in her day to day life. Waking to not see the colourful side of the dorm or not having the meaningless conversations with her at 2 am when neither could sleep made the time off almost torturous and not the good kind. No, Enid had become routine.

My family insisted on walking me to my dorm and saying goodbye from there and so we all stood in the doorway of my empty room. Enid wasn't hear yet by the looks of things but colourful decorations still stood from last semester, the annoying contrast to my side.

Pugsley dove in for a hug the second I turned back around to them causing me to drop my bags. Mother lent down to kiss my cheek whilst father mimicked on the other side.

"Now you be good my little storm cloud" he warned.

"Yes. We don't want to hear you've gotten into anymore near death experiences without us. It's a shame to miss out on the fun" my mother added, smiling fondly at my father.

I rolled my eyes and sighed at their pedantics. "Can you leave now? Your cutting into my writting time"

"Yes yes of course"

Thing jumped from fathers shoulder and settled on top of my desk, getting my typewriter ready for me. All my stuff had been taken up and put away by Lurch before we rode up here.

Pugsley started pushing our parents out of the door and wished me a final farewell, closing the door behind them.

Finially, some peace and quiet once again.

--

All sense of time dissappeared as I finished page after page of my new book. Thing had taken it upon himself to go around and get a bit of cleaning done before Enid arrived. On top of the achingly bright colour addiction, you can add lazy and messy to the list of reasons I despised her at the beginning.

The sound of the door opening and an excited squeal indicate that Enid has arrived before I even got the chance to look.

The bags in her hands were quickly forgotten as the warewolf leaped forward and hugged me from behind, her arms tightly wrapped around my neck.

"Enid, it appears you've forgotten how I dislike physical touch" I got out through gritted teeth, trying to get free of her grasp.

"You let me hug you last time" she murmed into the back of my neck.

My cheeks flushed at the memory of the embarrassing public display of affection we shared.

"And I knew I'd come to sorely regret it"

I sighed loudly and gave up struggling against the girl. "You have 5 seconds to unhand me or your losing a limb pup" I warned.

Enid started murming numbers to herself and let go when she got to 4.

I swivelled around in my chair to witness the girl fall back on her bed and wink in my direction.

"Sooooo you miss me?"

"Never" I deadpanned and turned to finish the page I was writting.

"You totally missed me"

She wasn't even trying to hide the smugness in her voice. I could practically hear the smirk on her face. I only scoffed in reply. Luckily thing wanted to catch up with Enid so I got half an hour more of peace.

--

In that half an hour of so called 'peace' Enid and thing had already painted eachothers nails, gossiped about their summer and were dancing to Enid's obnoxious music.

"Turn it off Enid"

"But I'm bored Wednesday. I was sat in a car for hours" the girl whined, dragging out the ends of her sentences.

"What do you want me to do about it?"

"Wanna play a game?"

I knew I'd come to regret offering to entertain her.

"No"

"Watch a movie?"

I shook my head.

"Go for a walk"

I mulled over her suggestions and figured that would be the best she would come up with.

"You are the most high maintenance dog ever" I groaned, reluctantly standing.

The girl let out a celebratory squeal which quickly faded. "Did you just call me a dog?"

"Twice since you've returned actually" It was my turn to smirk. Only subtle but Enid picked up on it, flashing a glare.

She started gathering our coats as it was almost dark out. Enid wore her snood and pouted when she remembered what had happened to mine.

Thing tagged along as we strolled along the edge of the forest bordering the schools grounds, switching between mine and Enid's shoulders.

Enid did all of the talking, mostly about her summer: how her pack finially excepted her and how she had gotten better at controlling her wolf features, not just her claws. She even fully transformed twice since that first time. The girl seemed happy to be able to access her true nature and emphasised the fact her mother was no longer dissapointed with her.

My features remained emotionless to hide the fact I was listening to her ramble more to herself than anything. She seemed to giggle every two seconds. For some reason the sound didn't annoy me as much as it used to.

After three laps around the school Enid declared she was too tired to go on and I must admit, my nose was going red from the cold.

Inside the dorm, Enid unpacked whilst I got ready in the shared bathroom. I came out in black and white checkered pyjama trousers and an oversized black hoodie to warm myself up. Enid went in to change as well whilst I got comfortable in bed. Thing returned to his makeshift bedroom in the drawers.

"Goodnight nes, night thing" Enid cheerfully called into the room.

"Don't call me that" I complained, getting under my covers.

"Sorry nes" she giggled.

I shot the warewolf a death glare. She only giggled louder and burrowed under her blanket.

I groaned and turned to face the wall. "Night thing, night pup"

Thing knocked in response.