Chapter 4

Footsteps of soot and mud followed me all the way back to my occupied dorm room. My roommate's giggles could be heard from outside the door.

Enid was laying on my bed, scrolling through her phone but instantly sat up when she caught sight of the state of me.

Wait. My bed?

"Wednesday what happened?!" the girl exclaimed. Then her head tilted in confusion, finger pointed towards my hand and mouth opening and closing several times before she settles on her statement. "And what's with the flag?"

The jeans were torn at the knees, revealing grazes and dried blood, painted over by mud mostly but still visible. Decorated from head to toe in dust like icing sugar on cake. Checkered flag triumphantly held in hand.

I small grin formed at the reminder of Xavier tripping over a tree branch, sliding through the mud and taking me down with him, allowing me to grab the flag a mere few meters from the finish line.

"Are you smiling right now? WEDNESDAY WHO DID YOU KILL?"

"Relax Enid. I told you, Xavier and I had target practice"

The girl's face contorted a few times with a range of emotions I couldn't quite make out. I had gotten used to reading most of Enid's expressions and body language but not when they passed by that quickly.

I waltzed over to her and bowed slightly, my hand stuck out between us, the flag balanced on a palm up hand.

"For you Milady. I won it in your honour" I joked, my features softening ever so slightly. The multicoloured girl always complained about my sense of humour.

When the warewolf didn't move I peered up through my lashes to see her rolling her eyes and scoffing.

"Your unbelievable"

"Rude"

"Hmm I guess the tables have turned"

"Thing, dear friend, I have something for you"

The hand scuttled out from under my bed and waited expectantly, tapping his index in impatience.

"Don't act like you have a life" I scolded, my features turning cold again and kneeling down to meet him.

I extended the flag to him and he signed a quick thank you, taking it and disappearing once more.

Enid's POV.

Seeing her so happy at the actions of Xavier really had me riled up. They had spent the whole day together and now she was joking! I don't know what came over me but I tried to make her.... jealous?

"Ajax invited me to the Rave'n dance" I blurted out

"Isn't that like 3 months away?" She questioned, slipping off her shoes.

"Well yeah"

"I can't believe there's another asinine dance so soon" she hummed and gave her outfit another look over. "I'm going to clean up"

Of course, Wednesday being so dense and obviously not feeling the same way I currently am, didn't mind the new information.

Wait what?

Ugh I need to get a grip. Friends don't feel this way about eachother, Enid. This isn't normal.

--

Wednesday came out of the shower in all black pyjamas and toothbrush still in her mouth, her brushing slowing as she stared at me.

"Wednesday it's rude to stare" I informed the goth girl yet again. My eyes never left the phone still in hand but I could see her in my peripheral vision.