Chapter 3

Xavier was already awaiting my arrival on the training grounds. Two targets stood before him and I instantly knew this was going to be a very boring practice.

"Hey Wednesday" the boy waved and handed me a bow and quiver filled with black arrows. Just like the ones I have at home. He really is a 'suck up' as Enid says.

"Please tell me you have more than this-" I lazily waved my hand towards the standing targets "planned for today's practice"

Yes I said today's because I had somehow agreed to do this monthly with Xavier but if this was the best he could do I'm considering forfeiting.

"You still carry around a knife right?"

Is everyone around here moronic?

"Yes Xavier"

"Then not even close" A shit eating grin spread wide across his face as he bowed slightly and motioned for me to go first towards the woods.

This may have just got interesting.

Enids POV

My stomach felt unsettled when I found that Wednesday had plans with Xavier. I felt oddly protective over her, more so since being reunited with the goth: a subconscious need to be with her at all times.

Xavier was an okay friend to her from what I'd heard but so was Tyler and well....that didn't turn out so well. It hurts more that they'd had contact with eachother over the school break and yet she didn't even let me know she had a phone.

Thankfully I can take my mind off of things with Ajax.

He met me at the gates and we walked together to town, a shared pair of earphones quietly playing one of my playlists.

We stopped in the Weathervane for waffles and hot chocolate - the one time we came here together, Wednesday made fun of me for getting such a sweet drink compared to her bitter coffee. We forced eachother to take a sip of the others drink. The face Wednesday made still makes me giggle despite knowing I did something similar. A slight tug at the corner of the smaller girl's lips felt like the biggest accomplishment of my whole life. I'd happily drink coffee again if she ever asked just to amuse her.

Ajax's exaggerant hand gestures pulled me back from memory lane.

"Another dance is coming up and I was thinking, maybe this time we could go together?"

Wednesday's POV

Xavier had drawn at least a hundred different animals, enchanted them to life and set them running through the forest. Whoever had the most kills and retrieved the flag, bringing it back to the randevu point wins.

It was 20 minutes into the hunt and I had taken down 15 animals so far. According to the make shift map Xavier drew, I was half way to the flag.

I hadn't come across the long haired boy as we started at different ends of the forest and as much as I'm unquestionably better at archery, the boys fast.

In the distance a black shadow grazed between trees. I stalked further, keeping low to the ground until I could make out the silhouette, a deer.

My quiver only held 2 more arrows so long shots like this was becoming less of an option. Good thing I didn't miss.

Silently taking the arrow and pulling back, aiming for the unexpected creature. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Focus and -

In one fell swoop, the arrow hurtled towards the animal and hit it right in the chest, a cloud of dust erupting into the air and settling in the ground.

Make that 16.

Enid's POV

I had somehow completely forgotten about another dance this year. I guess after everything that happened at the last Rave'n I wasn't so much looking forward to things. I doubt they'll repeat the whole fiasco again though.

"I'd love to" A smile took residence on my face, Ajax happily mirroring my glee. "What's the theme?"

"I think enchanted forest or something. I don't know. Xavier heard from bianca who heard from yoko that was listening in on the new principal and the dance committee" the gorgon rambled.

"Sounds cool" Me eyes widened from excitement "And calls for new colours too". I referred to the cotton candy theme on top of head.

Ajax stood up and held out his hand for me to grab, wrapping it around his arm when I did. We walked out of the door but abruptly stopped a second after.

A poster in the window caught the gorgon's attention. "They need a new barista" he pointed out, reading the sign. "Makes sense after what happened to the last one"

He chuckled lightly but stopped at my uncomfortable demeanour. "Sorry" he mumbled, giving my hand a squeeze. I squeezed back faintly.

"You should apply. You said you were looking for something to do" he shrugged, taking a slip of paper with the information on it and handing it to me.

"I dunno Jax. This is the only place Wednesday actually likes in this town and I'm not sure how she feels about seeing more of me" I chuckled but Ajax still insistently pushed the paper into my hand. I reluctantly took it from him.

"Wednesday adores you in her own way. Trust me"

Wednesday's POV

The flag, of course, is perched at the top of a tree. Being as vertically challenged as I am, the lowest branches weren't quite in reach. His chuckle at his own mocking comments ring out in my head. I'm going to kill Xavier next.

I pull the knives out of my boots and take a running leap, the blades digging into the bark which cracks under the pressure.

With all my force, I pulled one knife out, falling slightly and readjusting my grip on the remaining blade, and stuck it back in, further up the tree.

A gradual and slow climb, but I made it to the first of the branches, hoisting myself up those as steps.

At the top, 2 bags and a single black and white checkered flag hung from a branch. I undid the strings holding the flag, sticking into my waist band then turned to the bags.

Inside were more arrows, one for me and one for Xavier. Too bad he took too long to get here. I filled my quiver from one of the drawstring bags and tied the other to my belt.

The climb down was slightly easier and I was back to running for the finish point. Until I got a little distracted.

A massive wolf came running at me from the side, knocking into me. My body flew into a tree, a patch of black dust appearing where the wolf hit me and vision going blurry around the edges.

The creature snarled, bearing teeth bigger then my hand and stood on hindlegs, reaching at least 8 feet tall.

I reached for my daggers and threw them at the growling animal, only for it to wack then away. Both blades scattered around the woods nowhere to be seen.

Damn, they were my favourites. Uncle Fester gave them as a gift 3 years ago.

Suddenly, the beast shattered into millions of particles, raining down on me. Xavier was revealed standing a few feet away, again with a grin and bow in hand.

He strutted over, hand extended. I snarled in response, standing on my own. "Looked like you needed the help"

"This isn't a like - ability contest Xavier. I was doing just fine"

"Still too proud huh? I told you that's gonna be your downfall Wednesday"

In one quick motion, Xavier reached forward, slashing the string holding the flag to my waist and running with it pridefully held in the air.

"See ya Wednesday!"

"Xavier!"