Chapter 1

Steve's POV

I look around slowly as I approach the Hydra base. "Baron Strucker. Hydra's number on thug." He looked at me smugly, "Technically, I'm a thug for SHIELD." "Well then technically you're unemployed. Where's Loki's scepter." He glanced to the side briefly and smirked. "Don't worry, I know when I'm beat. You'll mention how I cooperated; I hope." "I'll put it right under illegal human experimentation. How many are the-" I quickly look to my right and get sent by a red blast down the stairs. I quickly get up and run back up the stairs to where Strucker is standing. "We have a second enhanced, female, do not engage." I look back at Strucker and knock him out with my shield. I look around the room & walk through the doorway coming across a dark room. I cautiously enter and see what looks like someone laying on a medical table. "Guys, I got Strucker." I say in my earpiece and walk closer. "Yea, I got...something bigger." I hear Tony say in my earpiece. I ignore him and look at the unconscious girl laying on the table connected to different IV's.

Hydra must have been experimenting on her.

I pull out the IV's and pick her up gently and walk back towards the quinjet. I get there quickly and Natasha runs up to me, "who is she?" "I don't know, Hydra must have been experimenting on her like the other enhanced." She glared at me, "And you thought it was smart to bring her here?" "I couldn't leave her in there Natasha." Her gaze softened and I set her down in the jet. "Alright guys, I got the scepter time to –" Tony walks up and freezes, staring at the girl.

"Do you know her?" I look at him and close the jet. He remains motionless, staring at her. "Hey Banner, Dr. Cho's on her way in from Seoul, is it okay if she sets up in your lab?" I look at him. "Uh, yea, she knows her way around." I nod and look back at Tony who looks like he's seen a ghost. "Stark?" He snaps his head towards Thor quickly. "Jarvis. Tell her to prep everything." I glance at Thor who shrugs as Tony walks up to the front of the jet, "Jarvis, take the wheel." He looks back at Thor and I, his demeanor changing instantly, "It feels good, yeah? I mean, you've been after this thing since SHIELD collapsed. Not that I haven't enjoyed our little raiding parties but..." "But this...this brings it to a close." Thor interjects. "As soon as we find out what else this has been used for. I don't just mean weapons..." We glance at the girl, still lying unconscious, "Since when is Strucker capable of human enhancement?" I notice that Tony goes pale again as he looks at her but quickly shakes it off, "Banner and I will give it a look over before it goes back to Asgard. That cool with you? I mean, just a few days until the farewell party." I roll my eyes and look towards Natasha who is bent over the girl, checking her vitals.

Leave it to Tony Stark to throw another party.

The quinjet lands back at the Avengers tower and Barton and the girl are immediately taken by Dr. Cho. Maria Hill approaches us. She exchanges some words with Tony before he practically takes off towards his office/lab.

Something is still seriously off with him...well...more than his usual behavior.

"What's the word on Strucker?" I glance at Hill, "NATO's got him." I nod and look at back at the girl in the medical bay, "what about the girl?" She shakes her head, "no idea Cap. Dr. Cho said we can see if her DNA is in any of our databases, but no promises."

I would bet money that Stark definitely knows something.

I push my thought to the side and look back at her, "And the two enhanced?" She hands me the ipad she is holding, "Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed at their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history." I look to the ipad where their images are enlarged. "He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electric interfacing, telekinesis, and mental manipulation."

Right because that's makes total sense.

She must have sensed my confusion and quickly followed up, "He's fast and she's weird." I nodded and looked towards Banner's lab where Dr. Cho was. "Well, They're going to show up again." She nodded in agreement, "I agree. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiment. It's nuts." I smirked and looked back up at her, "Right, what kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" I turn away from her and make my way towards Barton, "We're not at war, Captain."

"They are." I smile back at her. I walk in and sit in the medical bay next to Clint.

"Oh, he's flatlining. Call it. Time?" Tony walks in a few minutes later and points at Clint. "No, no, no. I'm going to live forever." Clint sits up and puts his hand on his stomach. "Helen, any update on the DNA scan?" I quickly glance at Tony. "No, not ye-" She's cut off by a loud beeping noise. "Never mind." She walks around to the computer and a look of confusion crosses her face. "Any matches?" Tony walks around to see and his face instantly goes pale.

She looks over at him, "Yea...yours."