football

2001 - HWANG JUHEE AGE 5

Hwang Jinseong watched as his daughter, Hwang Juhee, zoomed across the football pitch, practically flying as she escaped the other team who were attempting to stop her from scoring.

The little girl had been going to football since she was four, originally shy and nervous to be playing with other children, yet over the year, she had loved it, becoming perhaps one of the best, or the best player in the little league.

"Your daughter," The Coach made his way over to Jinseong, who bowed in greeting. "She's brilliant, she has talent, a lot of it,"

"She was quite hesitant at starting," Jinseong's eyes were still trained upon his daughter. "But she can't wait to come to practice now,"

"Give it a few more years, and she might just be picked up by the KFA if she retains her play like this," The Coach hummed. "She would be excellent in professional football,"

2009 - HWANG JUHEE AGE 13

"Well?"

Juhee stared at the contract in front of her. 

The young girl had been offered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity; to join the academy for the nations's national football team for under 17s.

So many girls dreamed of a chance like this, and only a few ever made the cut, something Juhee had managed to do.

Her father stared at his daughter, recognising the doubt, the hesitance and look of fear.

"Whatever your choice is," He said gently, taking her hands. "We'll be supporting you all the way,"

The Hwang girl looked up, dark eyes full of something he couldn't quite decipher.

"I... I don't want to sign," She mumbled, unable to look at him.

She loved football. It was so much to her, and both her family and her friends knew it. She'd been competing in matches since she was four, and everybody had been convinced that she'd go professional. It just made sense. But for Juhee, it was something that she simply couldn't see as her career.

"Okay, you don't have to," Jinseong smiled at her, as she returned one nervously. "Do you have a reason?"

"I don't want to go professional," She muttered. "It's not my dream, I love football, but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life,"

"Alright, now, go eat, you have a test tomorrow at school,"

Juhee pressed a quick kiss to her father's cheek before bounding away, the older man looking at the contract with a small sense of sadness.

Perhaps his daughter was meant for greater things.