The Lightsaber

Sabine punched in the coordinates and the ship melted into hyperspace. She leaned back in her chair, heart pumping, and looked at Ahsoka. "Spill."

"I was calling this farmer in a nearby system," said Ahsoka with a smile, "he told me that there had been some rare pyrgill sightings in the area, and that the sky one night, five years ago, was filled with fiery sparks. I am assuming that was the impact of the Imperial Star Cruiser on the planet."

The giddy feeling in Sabine's heart evaporated, filled with dread. If the Star Cruiser had hit the planet hard enough for people in a nearby system to see the explosion...

"I'm...going to prepare for the mission," Sabine said shakily. She rushed into her cabin. Ahsoka looked after her, shaking her head, wishing that she hadn't told the young Mandalorian the last bit. She had a feeling that Sabine was worrying the same thing that she was.

Sabine ran into her cabin and ran her hands through her hair. She was still not used to it being short. Technically it was purple, but sometimes when it caught the light, Sabine could swear it looked a little like Ezra's rich navy hair.

She looked under her bunk. A wooden chest about the length of her forearm rested there. Sabine assumed it was the cause of many sleepless nights.

She pulled the chest out and ran her hand over the smooth top. The chest was too beautiful to hold such a devastating item. She undid the clasp and gently lifted the lid.

Ezra's lightsaber lay inside.

For the most part of the last five years, Sabine had refused to look at it. It was too painful to remember that there was one member of the Ghost crew that was missing out on their lives. So, she had locked it away.

That changes today, she thought.

Sabine made sure that her armor was secure and that her blasters were charged. She fingered the lightsaber. On an impulse, she pressed her lips to the strangely warm metal and whispered, "I'm going to bring you home, Ezra." The lightsaber seemed to hum. Sabine shook herself out of the spell and clipped the lightsaber to her belt.

Sabine actually liked Ezra's lightsaber better than the Darksaber, which she had wielded for a short time before gifting it to Bo-Katan Kryze. Ezra's lightsaber was warm and somehow...calmer than the Darksaber.

Sabine took one last look at her cabin. Then she opened her doors. "I'm coming, Ez," she murmured.