Chapter 11

Chapter 11 : Her Name】

━━━━━━━•◦ ❈ ◦•━━━━━━━

"I see," The agencies boss, Fukuzawa, said thoughtfully as Ranpo explained the circumstances of Nyx's wondrous existence, or in the words of the Guild, 'Obscure'.

The three of them each sat in a chair around a long, sturdy but aged, table, presumably used for meetings. Fukuzawa, the boss, sat at the head of the table, Ranpo sat on the left, and Nyx sat a couple of chairs down on the right of Fukuzawa. She was slumped in the chair, Irritated with the way things turned out, the circumstances in which the agency recruited her, as well as an intense level of confusion about why there were suspicions about her existence. She knew, she knew, that she was born, she was a normal individual, born in unfortunate circumstances, with an ability.

"Nyx, I'm assuming, is your alias," Fukuzawa aimed the question at Nyx who had her eyebrows furrowed and a small but almost invisible frown on her face. You could see the creases between her eyebrows, and dried-out skin with flakes that needed moisturising. It was true, Nyx was an alias, but should she expose her true name? Would it help her figure out why people had suspicions, would it help her clear up the misunderstandings? She nodded her head attentively, casting her eyesight down to the table, still unsure, "May we know your true name?"

Nyx, despite knowing the question would be asked, was startled, her eyes large and beads of nervous sweat built, resting on the surface of her skin. She opened her mouth, closed it and then reached her arm to dig her nails from her right hand into the palm of her left hand, leaving familiar crescent moon patterns etched into her skin. She took a shallow breath and replied in a small voice, "Esther, Esther Kazuya,"

"Esther..." Ranpo tested the name on his tongue.

As the silence filled the room following Ranpo repeating the name, the door suddenly swung open dramatically and Dazai emerged, waltzing into the room with steps that oddly seemed full of confidence, oozing superiority. Nyx couldn't help but admire him. Dazai was a cunning man, a sly fox, but he was confident and more than capable. His intellect and predictions were proved to be unrivalled. His eyes were gentle and warm, despite the darkness hiding behind the comforting chocolate brown, "So, Nyx was an alias Mori decided to give you?"

"Yes, Nyx is my alias that the boss had decided to give me,"

Dazais eyes lit up, sparkled with curiosity. He continued to stroll through the room in a leisurely manner, not bothering to shut the sturdy wooden door, and wandering past the multiple chairs placed at the table, until he halted at Nyx's side, snatching her hand and holding it in his own, "Don't ruin your skin, it's flawless,"

Nyx's eyes widened in surprise, instinctively wanting to retract her hand but she held back the urge. Her hand trembled in Dazais grasp, his touch was tender. She swallowed anxiously, avoiding Dazais eyes, and glanced towards Ranpo and Fukuzawa as if to ask what they were thinking. What was going to happen next? So they knew her name, what did they intend to do with that information? Ranpo adjusted his hat on his head and continued to eat his candy, much like a child, undignified and unprofessional, meanwhile, Fukuzawa kept his arms crossed, clearly stuck in his thoughts.

"In any case, I would very much like to figure out the popular mystery regarding our newest Fleeting Blossom, in the meantime, she will join me on my next case, is that alright with you, my lady?" Dazai grinned. Nyx was astonished he could make decisions like that in front of his boss but dismissed that thought on the count that clearly the Mafia and the Agency handled Authority differently. Fukuzawa recognised Dazai's intelligence. Nyx nodded obediently, knowing she didn't really have a choice in the matter.