⚘ 24

The two teenagers froze at Eilir's response, they didn't really expect him to answer like that

The two teenagers froze at Eilir's response, they didn't really expect him to answer like that. I mean sure everyone cries at some point but Eilir? They could never see that happening.

"When I exited the large blanket I cried. Mhm." Even as Eilir responded with his usual monotone expression, it was evident that he struggled to recall the memory he so long ago repressed. 

--------------------

[roughly two years ago]

The dark dawn pulled a blanket of darkness over the forest as the sun bid goodnight to the creatures living there. Yet the end of the day did not mean that all was still in the silent woods as life was just beginning to grow. Tucked away in the corner of the trees laid a family of moth eggs ready to hatch. The quiet sound of the cocoons hatching was barely heard as the once caterpillars emerged as something new. As they said hello to the night sky once more, they fanned out their wings so they could dry. All except one who seemed to have issues. 

One overly sized pupa began to stir for what seemed to be an eternity before finally, a small child emerged. Barely the size of a newborn, the insect-like child crawled from his blanket of darkness and welcomed in the sight of the moon. But he was far too late, for his brothers and sisters already begun to take flight into the starry night. Not even leaving a single regard for him.

Hopelessly and confused, he did his best to follow after them. But his wet wings refused to take to the air. His voice was too weak to reach them, but he knew even if he somehow managed to yell out, it would not matter. A sudden pain erupted from his chest causing him to curl onto the green floor below.  His damp wings could only wrap around him, doing their best to offer him comfort. As he covered his tear-filled eyes, he desperately tried to imagine what it would be like if he remained in his cocoon. Remained where he was blissfully unaware of how lonesome the world truly was. 

He did not know how long he remained there. The only reminder of his existence was the growling sound emitting from his stomach. Until finally, the sound of crunching leaves resonated across the dead forest. 

Alarmed, the moth quickly sat upward, facing the direction the noise came from. 

The figure of a white mouse like creature quickly came into view from past the bushes. Before the child could even evaluate the situation, a mixture of colors without definitions entered his mind. His hands flew to his antennas as if he was in pain. Holding them tightly into his grasp, he could feel his jaw begin to grit against itself.

Rushing backwards until he could feel his wings come into contact with bark, he did his best to keep his eyes on the unknown creature. Everything was so new that it confused him. 

Nezu could barely retain his amazement as he stared down as the frightened insect below him. The smile grew on his face before he even knew it. "Delightful, just delightful..." he muttered out in midst of his wonder. Shaking off his astonishment, he finally began to walk closer. "Now don't be afraid little moth, I'm like you, see?" Raising his arms into a non-defensive stance, he slowly kneels down in front of the boy. 

Pitch black eyes watch Nezu warily. The noises the weird creature came out funny but for some reason they made sense in his mind. It was as if there was a strange line connecting each noise to a different noise in his mind. His fingers gradually released his antennas from the tight grip and relaxed to his side. 

"Thats it. Oh deary me, you were probably so afraid being alone." Taking a quick glance around, Nezu noted how the area didn't show any other signs of life. "Did they leave you when you hatched?" 

For some reason he found himself wanting to respond. He wasn't sure how or why, but it almost seemed natural. "Mhm." 

Nezu's eyes only seemed to sparkle more. In just a few short sentences this child was able to adapt and understand him! He wasn't sure to what degree but that didn't matter! It was obvious he had a quirk but to be able to learn at such a quick pace and at his age, well he guessed age didn't matter since insects aged more rapidly, but still! "Spectacular...simply spectacular...would you like to come with me? I can offer you some food to help ease the pain in your stomach?" 

The insect could only nod as he lifted up his arms so the weird creature could carry him. Seeing as how everything was unknown to him, his only choice was to follow along. As he was lifted up into the air, he couldn't help but notice how warm it felt. Allowing himself to succumb to slumber, he heard one last thing. 

"Your name shall be Eilir, for while you might be a moth you certainly are as remarkable as a butterfly."

After that day Nezu took special care of the moth child in secret. While he knew he could bring him to live at UA at anytime, he was hesitant. For what would happen if they grew too curious. Unlike the humans in his life, he felt a certain pull towards the child. Perhaps it was the look in Eilir's eyes that reminded him of himself when he was inside of that lab, but he never wanted the world to find out about him.

Yet he couldn't lock up the poor child.

So, he offered him all he could, a companion. Someone who could live and guide him at all times, since he would be unable to. At least then he wouldn't have to worry about those pesky lonesome emotions. 

But it seemed that no matter how hard he tried, he still couldn't banish all worldly things from him. And before Nezu knew it, his most prized secret was revealed into the school. Even still, there was one thing Nezu couldn't teach Eilir. And that was how to feel. So maybe it was a good thing the moth child stumbled upon a group of humans who were able to slowly lead him into the light. If only Nezu would have been so lucky when he was small.

As Eilir grows more and more with his students, Nezu hopes they too can teach Eilir how cherished he truly is by everyone around him. So hopefully as he learns more about his emotions, he won't have to feel lonesome anymore. 

Anyway go read my new book that'll be released in a few days👍