17 | such an idiot.

chapter seventeen.
such an idiot.

I did see Edwin the following day during my shift at McDonalds—the moment I saw him walk through the door, it felt like I could breathe again.

He stepped up to the counter and flashed me a smile. His mom stood a few steps behind him, greeting me with a small 'hello!'

"How can I help you?" I said, pretending he was just some random customer and not my best friend.

"Hey," he groaned. "You can greet me differently than that."

"I don't know what you're talking about, stranger." I teased. I couldn't help the smile that came upon my face.

He glared at me before sighing dramatically. "Okay! Then I'll have...two hundred happy meals."

"Fuck no." I replied in a hushed voice, causing Edwin to burst out laughing. I noticed a few people lining up behind him so unfortunately, we had to stop messing around. "Okay, I'm sorry but there's other customers waiting so for real what do you want?"

That day was incredibly busy. I didn't get to talk to Edwin at all after he received his food and I simply waved him goodbye once I saw him leaving, being too held up by taking orders and running into the kitchen to help on the line whenever there wasn't a customer to attend to.

When I got home, I decided to ask my parents if Edwin could come over and spend the night on Saturday. Thankfully, they told me yes so I sped off upstairs and into my bedroom and called the boy to let him know.

"Hello?" he said, his face coming into view on the FaceTime call.

"Hi," I replied, smiling. "So, I asked my parents and they said you can spend the night on Saturday."

"Great!" Edwin exclaimed. "I'm excited already."

"Me too."

My friend suddenly dropped his phone so I could only see the ceiling. "One second," he said, his voice quieter and sounding far-off. I heard a door close and a moment later he returned. "Sorry, Nathan's girlfriend is over and they're watching a movie in the living room very loudly and it's distracting."

"His girlfriend?"

"Yeah, I thought I told you about her before."

I paused and thought about it. "Actually, yeah, I think I do remember you mentioning it a few months ago when we met. I had completely forgotten to be honest."

"I get it," Edwin replied. "My memory sucks ass," then, "you can probably meet her on Saturday. She's not going back to LA until next Sunday because she's on spring break, so she'll probably tag along with Nathan to come drop me off."

"Cool, I look forward to it."

Edwin and I then talked for hours, late into the night. It was two am and I was holding back tears from laughter at a joke I had just spoken when my friend suddenly told me he had to leave as Nathan wanted to go to bed. Edwin groaned in annoyance when he realized he was being kicked out of his own room and sent to the couch to sleep so that his brother and his girlfriend could have the bedroom to themselves.