01 | honey voice.

chapter one.
honey voice.

•

About a week after my sixteenth birthday, my mom appeared at the threshold to my room and I could already tell by the grim expression on her face and the way she was rocking back and forth on her feet that we were going to have either a serious or an important discussion. Maybe both.

"Yes, mom?" I asked tentatively. I didn't know whether or not she was angry with me, but either way it was obvious that she didn't really want to be there.

"We need to talk."

Immediately I felt sick to my stomach, but I tried not to let it show. Those words had been haunting my mind for my entire life. Talks that began with those four words never ended well.

I suppressed a flinch when my mother suddenly moved from the doorway, across the room, and sat at the end of my bed. I set my textbooks to the side; I had been studying for finals all day. The following day were my last two. My dad was incredibly strict when it came to my grades, so I had no choice but to study as hard as possible and pray for good results.

"What do we need to talk about?" I asked her, a small part of my anxiety lessening when I told myself, it's just your mother, it can't be that bad. If something was truly wrong, my dad would've been the one sitting next to me.

"Your dad and I have been talking," she started. "You're sixteen now, so we think it's about time you get a job."

Having a job sounded absolutely awful. But I didn't show how I felt, nor tell her. Instead, I nodded in agreement. "Okay. I'll look for places that are hiring."

"Alright," she began to get up. "Get on it as soon as possible, or else your dad won't be very happy." I watched as she walked to the door that was still open.

"Okay." I replied simply. She looked at me, gave a curt nod, and left the room, closing the door behind her with a click.

I let out a shaky sigh and suddenly I didn't feel like studying anymore. My mind was too cluttered for that at that moment. I pulled my knees up to my chest and grabbed my phone off my nightstand where I had it charging while it sat on the wooden surface. I unplugged the charger and unlocked my phone, not surprised to see only one text from a groupchat with my two best friends; Nadine and Dan. Yet, I was kind of the odd one out in the group. The two had known each other since sixth grade. But me? They simply befriended me the previous school year because I had no one to be in a group with for a project and the teacher pushed me to be with the two bubbly students. Since then they treated me with nothing but kindness, and the three of us hung out all of the time, but I could feel that I didn't have the same connection with either of them as they did with each other. And I never would. Because they were best friends. I called them my best friends merely because they were my only friends. But I didn't tell them that.