Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three (Alexius)

 I left the dining tent and returned to my own to find that Ana had made sure Nico was returned.

Nico was fast asleep, his hands tied tightly to the post of my bed. He rested his head on a spare pillow, a blanket beneath him and a blanket above him as he slept. I couldn't understand how he could sleep with his hands tied in front of him to the bed post like that, but I rather have him uncomfortable than free to stab me in my sleep--again.

I stripped off my clothes, placing them nearby before I crawled into bed. There was still noise from the other men as they moved around, some preparing for leaving tomorrow bright and early. I was too tired to bother with anything more. Tonight, I would slumber well.

I pulled the blankets over me, relishing at the velvety smooth feel of them across my naked body as I rolled onto my side, head resting on the satin pillow. I closed my eyes and almost instantly fell asleep, relieved that I would be sleeping fully sated and not having to search for a victim through dreams in order to fuel myself.

However, I didn't remain where I was in my dreams. My dreams were not my own. Usually my experiences involved me having my soul instantly teleported to someone's dream, someone who longed for sexual pleasure. This time, my soul was sent somewhere else.

I wasn't in a bedroom or bed, or even a closet which had happened a couple times before.

I was in a place that I could only describe as heaven.

I was standing on a cliff that overlooked a brilliant blue and green sea, a Caribbean sea that twinkled under the brilliant rays of a golden sun. The air was warm, cooled mildly by a breeze that twirled around me, ruffling my clothes and blowing my hair. There was the salty fresh scent of the ocean mingled with the scent of warm grass, sweet flowers, and the faintest scents of smoke from a fire. The grass around me was a bit tall, tickling my ankles and threading between my toes.

Looking up the fields of bright green grass rolled along smooth hills that became larger. Along the way, the grass disappeared into thick forests that lined the hills that soon became large mountains. Mountains that stretched high into the sky, behind a lush film of clouds that coiled around it like a blanket. The forests spelled strongly of pine and leaves, of water as well.

To the left, along the fields of grass, was what appeared to be a small village. The cottages were petite and well decorated, vines of large purple flowers coiling around them. Smoke inched through the air from the chimney stacks and coiled through the air like streams of gray and black silk. I cocked my head, glancing around before carefully moving across the grass. The grass became shorter as I neared the village until it became smooth, soft sands that reminded me of the sands of Ivacha.

Drawing closer, the cottages seemed to be made of different materials. Wood and stone. And some of them were larger than I had originally figured. One was two stories tall with a back porch that was decorated in cacti that bloomed purple flowers. I started closer when the door to the nearest cottage opened and I instantly went still. It was instinct. I'd never been in a village before.

My guardian and I had lived on the outside of our village, away from it so the villagers wouldn't destroy our home with stones or sticks.

The man coming out of the cottage had silky black hair that fell in waves just above his shoulders, parted down the side so it fell mostly near the left half of his face. His eyes were an odd shade of silver, like coins glinting in his eye sockets. There was a dark shadow of stubble across his face as well. He only wore a pair of blue jeans, his bare feet slapping the stones just outside his door. He was about to stoop and pick up a packet of papers when he noticed me for the first time, looking up in surprise. He looked around for a moment, then back at me, frowning suspiciously now.