Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Killian)

At first, I didn't know what to make of it.

I never thought I'd hear Alexius laugh in my entire life, but right now, he was laughing so hard that he was doubled over. I blinked, surprised as he laughed. It was loud, damn near hysterical. It was as if he'd just seen the funniest thing in the world, and I couldn't quite understand what was so hilarious about seeing our captive fight against Arachnae. I mean, Arachnae stood a good foot and a half taller than this person, but that didn't seem to merit laughter.

"What is he laughing about?" Arachnae demanded as he finally managed to heave the captive up under his arm. The man squirmed and writhed, glaring hot daggers at Alexius, who was slowly sobering as he approached.

"Fuck you, halfbreed! I hope they castrate you like a pig when they're finished using you, you fucking traitor!" The man screamed, bucking and fighting against Arachnae, but it was no use now. Arachnae's arm muscled bulged, locking the man in position as Arachnae turned to look at Alexius, who was smirking. He surprisingly didn't take offense to anything that the man was saying, which only warrented more curiosity from Arachnae and I, but we knew better than to ask Alexius, who merely walked ahead of us.

"Come on." Alexius told us as he headed to the barracks, ones that had yet to be used. Arachnae and I looked at each other again before followed Alexius. Right beside the barracks was a large building that resembled something of a warehouse. The doors were opened and Marikas was standing there with Teyuis, Ulric, and Alaric. Yipsol, Hiku, and Collin were also standing around, looking irritated as they watched Arachnae approach them with the writhing captive.

"What's his name?" I asked Alexius as Arachnae led the captive in ahead of us. Alexius seemed to be fighting a smile as we entered the warehouse. Inside were about a dozen chairs and desks set up in a circle at the center where a large cage sat. And judging from the way our captive was thrashing desperately to escape, it was meant for him.

"Nico," Alexius replied, cocking his head as he watched in genuine interest and joy as Arachnae tried to shove the man into the cage, "He's an incubus. The one who lived next door to me." My eyes widened as I remembered the story Alexius had told me last night, about the child who'd crept into his window and stabbed him.

"That's..." My voice trailed. Alexius didn't even bother to hide a smirk now.

"Yes." He responded, then took a seat in one of the chairs. I frowned, but did the same, taking the seat beside him. Everyone else did the same, but Alexius was in a world of his own. I could practically smell the lust for revenge boiling in his veins, heating his blood and fueling his heart to an excited beat. He didn't care about anything anymore. All he cared about now was the incubus in the cage.

Nico acted like a caged dog, baring his fangs that were just slightly larger than Alexius'. He was a beautiful creature, but with the expression of utter rage and hate on his expression, he became ugly. I was finding it difficult to hate the creature, however. He attacked Alexius because his parents had told him Alexius was evil. He didn't even know the truth behind Alexius' birth, his real story. He was only blindly following what his parents had taught him. If anything, I pitied the creature as he slammed himself into the iron bars of his prison to no avail.

"Well," Marikas drawled as he took a seat, propping his legs up on the desk, "Arachnae, tell us what you've found out from the little booger. He seems particularly fiesty." Nico spat at him for that, but it didn't reach him. Marikas only smirked in a way very similiar to Alexius'. Arachnae cleared his throat, frowning.

"Unfortunately, the kid won't talk. He just keeps coming up with new insults and I'm starting to come up with new torture ideas. All I know is that he was fleeing the battle, most likely to find a safe place to teleport. He was about to leave when I caught him over the head with a tree branch. The little guy just hit the ground after that, so I took him back here. I figured Alexius would know about him, given that he's an incubus." He explained, glancing at Alexius, whose eyes glittered as he stared at Nico, who curled his lip at us.