Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Alexius)

"Do not come to my tent when I am absent."

The sentence came out far harsher than I intended. Having spoken to Killian earlier had fired me up, boiled my blood so hot that it was making me sweat. Rage surged to the surface and I could feel it prickling my fingertips, making my mouth dry.

And I had in turn took that rage out on Ana, who flinched at my words.

"My apologizes, General Alexius. I simply wanted to make sure your things were clean and set and--"

"I don't care," I interrupted her sharply, stepping back as she finished the last strap of my armor, "Do not come in here when I am not here. The only acceptable time is to drop off my armor after my meals. And you can only do that. Do not touch any of my things, just put my armor back and leave."

"Yes, of course, as you wish." Ana bowed lowly in apology before stepping out. I could see the tears in her eyes and, much to my surprise, I felt a sharp pang in my chest that caused all my anger and hate to dissipate. I hadn't meant to take it out on Ana. My conversation with Killian had merely boiled my blood to the point where I almost didn't want to wait to kill my race. I had been cruel to Ana.

Do not feel guilty, a voice in the back of my head scolded. Ana was a servant. She made a mistake and she should know better... Yes, a servant, though. She was hired to do only what I said, when I said. She had no choice. And yet, I still didn't trust her. I didn't know her well enough to be around my things, my space.

I sighed in frustration, adjusting my armor. It was only the bottom layer with the buckles and chainmail, though. I wouldn't need my full armor today if we'd merely be training and sparring. No, I wouldn't even need it for that. I would be sure not to receive a single hit. I took my belt back out, hoisting it around my waist as I grabbed my shuriken and sword. I hid the daggers just under my chainmail before emerging from my tent. A few men rushed by, laughing and making jokes about their commander.

It was a mild irritation. Should I hear about any gossip involving myself, I'd take my time cutting tongues out one by one. I'd had enough of rumors. I wasn't going to put up with it here.

I walked down the path toward the training fields where a couple units were already positioned. The archery unit was in their usual place, firing off arrows at X-ed out dummies. A few teams were sparring with swords or hand-to-hand. I walked around the fields to find my unit waiting in neat lines for me. Remi and Soterios looked up to see me, bowing low in greeting.

"We're ready when you are, General Alexius." Remi said. I nodded to him, then scanned the group of men. They'd gone from the joking, obnoxious bunch in the dining tent to stiff, calm soldiers awaiting orders. This pleased me more than it should. And honestly, I wasn't sure what to do. I'd read hundreds of books over the years on battle and strategy. Both fiction and non-fiction, descriptive and detailed of how such things were supposed to be.

And yet, right now, watching them, I wasn't sure what to do. I glanced at Remi, who studied me. I could see the flicker in his eyes and it seemed he understood what was going through my mind. Something that was both relieving, yet unnerving. I watched Remi turn to the group.

"We will show General Alexius our usual set up. So don't waste any time. Chop, chop. Grab a partner and beginning sparring. Swords only." Remi announced. The men seemed reluctant, but obeyed anyway as they turned to the person beside them. They put enough space between each team before the men withdrew their swords. Swords of all kinds. Some shorter than others, some different styles, different colors, shapes. It was outstanding. Part of me simply wanted to sit back and watch, but I forced myself to keep my guard up, standing with my arms folded over my chest as they began on Remi's command.