Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven (Alexius)

Kith was far different than Ivacha.

While Ivacha was a beautiful island realm with a bright, hot sun, lush green forests that stretched beside flat fields of grass that led to the large mountain range that cut us off from the other side of the island, Kith was mostly hills.

Thick, rolling green hills that seemed to stretch for miles before it stooped low into a valley where a large, greenish colored lake occupied a good amount of the space. It lacked trees severely. The only trees were leafless trees that trembled and clung to the ground for dear mercy whenever the wind blew even the slightest. It was the right amount of depressing for the battle that was soon to touch our swords and shields.

Killian, Arachnae, and I led our armies across the hills toward the lake where we would make camp out of sight, in the shelter of the valley here the wind was less likely to rustle our gear and tents. Surprisingly, Killian was silent the entire way there. He didn't even speak to yell at his men, who were yelling loudly to see if their voices echoed, like children who'd just stumbled into a curious land. I rolled my eyes and continued the trek toward the valley. My armor only rattled slightly, my helmet thankfully padded on the inside so my voice wouldn't echo when I snapped at one of the men.

Usually it was Simon. He was the youngest and most obnoxious, in my unit anyway. Killian had to deal with the four young ones that had attacked me earlier in the morning, though, they made sure to keep a good distance from myself and my men.

Arachnae surprised me by being rather chatty. He was far larger than me, both in muscle mass and height, very intimidating, especially with the double-sided black and gold battle axe that he carried rested against his shoulder.

"And, you know," Arachnae was saying in his thick Scottish accent as I came out of my thoughts, "It's a bloody shame too. I could've used a fine piece of ass that night, but ah. Some people are easily intimidated by my large frame." I raised an eyebrow at that and thanked the gods that my helmet hid my smile. He was rather amusing, and talkative for a man who spent most of his time alone.

Back home in the human realm, Arachnae lived in the rolling countryside of Scotland in a very small cabin. He preferred solitude as people were instantly frightened by his size. He said it wasn't his fault that his father was an ogre and his mother was a boxer. I wasn't sure if he was joking or not as it was difficult to see his face in his helmet, so I made no comment on that.

"So you prefer women?" I asked Arachnae as we walked, nearing the edge of the valley. Arachnae chuckled loudly as he paused a good few feet ahead of us. I appeared at his side and Killian on his other as we looked out into the valley where the deep green lake sat in complete and utter silence.

"I think it all depends," Arachnae told me as he scanned the valley, reaching up to take his helmet off, shaking his head and reaching up to scratch through his short white hair, "I prefer me a nice slender thing. Usually it's women that are that size. But I dunno, I must say your Simon is just the right fit." I snorted at that and Killian actually cracked a smile now. Whatever had been bothering him before ceased to exist in his mind as he searched the valley.

"Marikas told us to make camp here and stay alert. We'll send several men from each of our squads to stand guard and watch for any suspicious movement. The rest of us will sent up the tents and tie up the horses." Killian explained. Arachnae and I both nodded in agreement before we continued to move into the valley.

There was an odd smell as we neared the lake. It smelled of rain, moss, and something sweet and pungent, like candy. No one else seemed to notice it as we had the horses carry the things in. The men began to unpack the wagons, setting up tents and tables. The servants we'd brought with us hurried to assist as well as prepare meals.