━━ SEVEN

[ act i - a legend born for greatness ]
CHAPTER SEVEN
( the heartbroken one )

     SOFT LIGHT SHINED THROUGH THE SMALL CRACKS throughout Althea's hut, the fire had died during the night

     SOFT LIGHT SHINED THROUGH THE SMALL CRACKS throughout Althea's hut, the fire had died during the night. Althea's eyes opened slowly her head still resting on Gunnar's chest, his heartbeat steady and light. His breath was slow, meaning he was still asleep.

Slowly her head tilted up, watching him, his face had small scars scattered here and there, along with the larger ones that littered his body. His blond beard and hair were a little disheveled from the previous night.

She watched him with her blue eyes, wondering how a man such as he could keep coming back to her. Althea had the chance to marry him but she refused, for she only truly wanted one thing. She broke his heart that day, she can see it every time she looks him in the eyes. Her heart did hurt at the loss of him but she knew she had to let him go. Gunnar was in love with the woman who watched him. Althea knew that much, yet she refused any and all offers of marriage, even his.

She felt sorry for him because who would want to love a girl, like her, who was only power-hungry? Slowly making sure not to wake the beautiful sleeping man in her bed, she sat up. Even still she watched him, studying him like he was her prey. She did not quite know what to do about him, he was first a friend, then a lover and now she did not know. Althea did love Gunnar as he loved her but she promised herself nothing would get in the way of her crown. Not even a man as beautiful as he.

His chest ached every time he saw her, she was the definition of beauty and grace. He would go to the ends of the earth for her if it meant she would marry him. If she went to war, so did he. His love for her was like no other because he only ever loved Althea.

Althea had moved to the edge of her bed, her hair cascading down her back and some down her chest. She knew she loved him but she was stubborn because she wants a crown, not a husband. Maybe if things were different they would be married but no such luck.

Althea rubbed her face and sighed deeply, troubled with thoughts of the heathen army. A hand made its way up her back to her shoulder, the bed shifted slightly and Gunnar turned her to look at him.

"What is troubling you?" His voice raspy and even deeper when filled with sleep, his hand rubbed circles into her hip.

She breathed in deeply, "It is about Ubbe's offer, I do not know if I should join them." Her eyes wandered around her hut, still in thought. "Why should I join an army that does not fight in my interest?" Althea finished turning to face him.

"Maybe they will lead you to what you truly want?" He spoke, his hand coming up to caress her cheek.

"Because we all know that you truly want your crown." He paused and then moved his hand away. "I would follow you anywhere Althea, just say the word, and if it is a crown you want... then a crown you will have." He looked back at her again, giving her a tight smile, before moving to sit next to her.