━━ THIRTY-THREE

[ act iv - peace for those that earned it ]
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
( the day they left )

     ALTHEA COULD NOT SLEEP AT ALL THE NIGHT BEFORE, she was filled with worry, not only for her husband but for her friends

ALTHEA COULD NOT SLEEP AT ALL THE NIGHT BEFORE, she was filled with worry, not only for her husband but for her friends. She did not know if they would return or not and that is what terrified her the most. She sat on the edge of their bed as Torsten moved around the room gathering his things, Hakon played on the floor with a few toys.

Hakon was still much too young to understand. When Torsten and Althea married he had stepped into the role of Hakon's father. But in reality, he had stepped into that role a lot earlier including her closest male friends. Torsten had finally grabbed his sword and finally buckled it around his waist, picking up the wraps that held his things that would be tied to the horse, but for now, he slung it over his shoulder.

Althea watched him make his way to the table that now held both their clutter, he picked up her crown and walked back over to her, placing it on her head as he knelt in front of her. He looked up at her and breathed in deeply as he grabbed her hands. He placed a soft kiss on each of her palms.

"It is time for me to go." He said softly. Althea gulped swallowing her tears for now. She nodded slowly as he stood, helping her up in the process.

Torsten walked over and picked Hakon up, placing the small boy on his shoulders. Torsten then grabbed the shield Althea had given him the day before. He kept a hand on one of Hakon's legs so he would not fall. Althea walked next to him as they left their room and then the great hall.

Althea's heart quickened in her chest with every step as they got closer to Torsten's horse. The ones who would be fighting were saying goodbye to their loved ones. Torsten handed his shield and wrap to a servant as he began to fix it to Torsten's horse.

Torsten picked up Hakon and held him before kissing the boy on his forehead, "Be good for your mother." He said to Hakon before Maximus walked over taking Hakon from Torsten.

Althea noticed Porunn and Eskel standing off to the side, she pushed Torsten slightly in their direction, "Go say goodbye." Althea smiled sadly up at him. Torsten nodded and took off toward them as Revna walked up to stand in front of Althea.

'Goodbye for now,' Revna signed as she pulled Althea into a hug. Althea held her tightly before pulling away. 'I promise to come back alive and bring them back with me.' Revna signed as she smiled.

"Good, I need you back by my side." Althea sighed and hugged her one last time. "I am going to miss you but please return soon." Althea whispered in her ear. She felt Revna nod against her shoulder as they let each other go. Althea turned to Maximus, watching as he handed Hakon to Revna so she could say her goodbyes to the boy. Maximus wrapped Althea in a hug and stayed like that for a moment.

"I will see you again soon, I do not plan to say goodbye because I know that I will return." Maximus sighed as he pulled away from the hug. Maximus smiled at her before he went back over to Revna and Hakon.