━━ THIRTY-FIVE

[ act iv - peace for those that earned it ]
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
( when they returned )

[ act iv - peace for those that earned it ]CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE( when they returned )

TWO LONG AGONIZING MONTHS HAD PAST SINCE ALL her trusted friends left. A rider had been set ahead to inform Queen Althea that some of the warriors would return soon. Althea could not bring herself at ask about her friends and husband. She wanted to see for herself before she jumped to the worst possible conclusion.

She had given birth two days prior and should still be in bed. She had welcomed two children, a son and a daughter. Two servants carried Althea's new born children. They followed behind her. Everyone in the city had gathered to see who would return and who would not. Althea stood at the bottom of the steps of the great hall, Hakon's hand in hers.

She was terrified, terrified that the feeling she had was true. That one's she loved and trusted would not return. The horn sounded as the gates opened. Men and women flooded in, some on horseback and others on foot. New faces she had never seen flowed through the gates. Then familiar ones. Her heart soared as her eyes set up on Maximus and Revna, a smile gracing all of their faces. Althea's eyes darted to Revna's spear, King Harald's head was upon it.

Althea's brows furrowed as she stared up at it before she watched them dismount. Maximus and Revna made their way to Althea quickly.

"What..." Althea started as she looked from them and back up to the end of Revna's spear.

"Torsten killed King Harald." Maximus spoke as he breathed in deeply.

Althea raised a brow, "He did?" She asked as they both climbed off their horses.

Maximus nodded as Hakon ran towards him. Althea turned her attention back to the gate, waiting for Torsten to show. Her heart raced in her chest.

"Where is he?" She asked as she continued to stare at the gates, watching as what seemed to be the last of the warriors make their way through.

Maximus furrowed his brows as Hakon attached his leg, "He was right behind us. A few of Ivar's scouts had followed us. King Torsten told us to go on."

Althea's heart plummeted to her stomach and without thinking she moved to Maximus's horse and climbed on it, grabbing the bow that was attached to the saddle. She turned the horse around and before anyone could stop her she took off. She urged the horse to a fast gallop and following the path from where they came.

Soon she could see six of Ivar's scouts, a few engaged in fighting. Her eyes landed on Torsten, Ubbe, Queen Lagertha and Bjorn. She pulled the horse to a stop as they fought. Grabbing an arrow from its holster she readied the bow, she aimed for her target that was going right after Torsten while he was still fighting another.

She breathed out releasing the arrow. It sailed through the air and buried itself right in the mans chest, knocking him back and to the ground. Althea readied another arrow, this time taking out the one Torsten was fighting.