━━ TWELVE

[ act ii - burn the kingdoms down ]
CHAPTER TWELVE
( how tragic death is )

      THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE ARMY STOOD QUIETLY as the once-live Prince Sigurd now lay dead in a boat

     THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE ARMY STOOD QUIETLY as the once-live Prince Sigurd now lay dead in a boat. Furs and treasures surrounded him. Althea's eyes moved down to the murderer that was sitting a few feet away from where she stood. Her breaths were slightly ragged, she did not know why but she was afraid of Ivar the Boneless. All her life she had never been slightly afraid, someone who would kill their own flesh and blood - was someone to be afraid of.

Althea watched as Ubbe placed Sigurd's prized ax next to him, then she saw everyone staring at Ivar and she stared straight ahead. Althea turned to look at Ivar, she could see a tear escaping his eye as he stared at Sigurd's dead body. Soon after men and women started to take their leave but not she. She watched the cripple as he continued to sit there staring at the mound of dirt that held his brother.

Althea finally stepped forward and placed a single hand on his shoulder giving it a light squeeze. She had heard the stories of how Sigurd had made fun of him throughout their younger years and she wondered if Sigurd had deserved what he got. But that did not mean it should have happened.

Althea spoke softly, so softly that her voice only reached Ivars ears. "I know it hurts but do not let this stop you. He shouldn't have pushed like that." When she was finished she left pulling her hand from his shoulder.

Even if she was slightly afraid of Ivar that did not change that she had made a promise to him, to help him defeat Lagertha. Slowly Althea made her way toward her tent, stepping in she saw Brynhild tending to Gunnar's wound.

Brynhild looked up, "Princess," the girl stood and bowed to Althea. "I just changed his bandages."

"Thank you Brynhild, you may go. Get some rest before we leave again." The girl nodded and left quickly.

Althea pulled her cloak from her body and placed it over the back of a chair, her eyes were trained on Gunnar. His chest rose and fell slightly fast and his skin was littered with sweat. Slowly she made her way toward him, her hand placed itself on his forehead, and then on his chest, he was burning up.

Althea reached into the bucket that held water next to the bed and grabbed the cloth that was in it. She wrung it out and placed the cloth on his forehead. She was in pain seeing him like this. Gunnar slept most of the day and night, only waking to eat and change his bandage. A tear escaped one of Althea's eyes, running down her cheek and landing on Gunnar's hand, she was crying.

She needed her friend back, her lover. She wanted to hear his laugh again and his voice instead of this weary one he speaks with now. The words the Seer said kept running through her mind and she hated it, 'One close with perish with the many in your army...' She wanted it to stop and for Gunnar to get better. She had prayed to the gods endlessly for his health, she even prayed to the Christian god hoping that even he would spare her lover.