Chapter 25

This is a trigger chapter, I apologize. I will say this, nothing happens but you can infer what would've happened.

It was the dark of the night and all was silent throughout the farmhouse. Everyone had fallen asleep at some point after all of the fuss over a new baby brother. Most of the family were excited while the other half could care less. One member of the family, however, wasn't even thinking about a new brother. He had other thoughts for tonight, and he was the only one awake.

"Stupid creaky stairs, just shut up for once," Neptune growled under his breath as he quietly crept down the stairs. He had waited for hours locked up inside his bedroom for everyone else to go to sleep. As soon as he heard the loud snoring of Uranus over his tv, the ice giant planet kitten knew the time to act was now. Making it down the stairs, he made his way into the kitchen and began his search.

"Shooting stars," Neptune snarled, shutting the silverware drawer. None of the forks or knives were good enough to settle his needs. And let's be honest, the spoons were completely useless. Glancing at the scissors, he swiftly turned down that idea. At last, his eyes landed on the bread knife. Bingo. His heart pounding, he reached for the blade.

There was a squeak.

Practically jumping out of his skin, Neptune whipped around. Crawling up to him was none other than Pluto. The poor little scrap was dragging himself over to the older feline. "Determined, aren't ya?" Neptune questioned before he muttered, "Why don't you go bother someone else? I'm busy." He was about to grab the bread knife again when Pluto hugged his paw. His hackles raising, the ice giant planet kitten hissed, "Get away from me!"

Releasing his hold, Pluto gazed up at Neptune with the saddest eyes. Shame washing over him, the ice giant planet kitten lowered his head. "Shoot, don't cry. Please don't cry, I'm sorry," he whispered, gently nudging the tiny kitten with his nose. His purple eyes lighting up, Pluto wrapped his paws around Neptune's muzzle in an embrace.

Staring at the kitten hugging his face, something inside Neptune broke. Trembling as tears fell, he gently grabbed Pluto and held him close to his chest. All the while, he sobbed quietly, trying hard not to be heard. In the meantime, little Pluto partially buried himself in the soft blue fur, purring in happiness. The pair sat alone in the kitchen for a bit, one crying and one purring. And throughout it all, the rest of the house remained quiet on that dark night.